Germany
       Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guns attack and re-attack

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum and I would like to say hello to all of you first.

I also hope this hasn't been asked before.

The question I have is related to a guns attack, re-attack and SEM. Imagine the following situation:

There is a TIC situation where I have to provide CAS. I fly a guns attack on a tree line. Threats would be small arms fire and possibly RPGs. I have to re-attack several times.

The questions I have are the following:

1. What kind of gun delivery would you use?
    2. In order to be able to strafe the complete tree-line or most of it, I have to switch to GUNARM, right?
    3. What SEM would you use?
    4. What is the quickest way to bring yourself back into a re-attack position?
    5. What altitude AGL should I have as a minimum for a re-attack.

At the moment I fly this more by the seat of my pants, but probably not in the most efficient way and I am looking for a best practice. Would be awesome to hear some point of views.

Thanks for your time.

Pete

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    279 Posts
    First Welcome Pixar love your movies.

Do you have our TTP3-3? https://www.476vfightergroup.com/dow...do=file&id=376

1. If so, in that permissive situation my first thoughts turn toward Wheel Pattern. Which would allow the flexibility of staying visual on the contact through the entire engagement.
    2. Yes, I would also think about switching to GUNARM off in order to disperse my run on soft targets. GUN/PAC ARM is usually more for point targets. When CM ammunition load is selected, there will be two pippers in the center of the reticle. The center most one indicates predicted impact point on Armor Piercing (AP) rounds and the one usually lower is for High Explosive Incendiary (HEI) rounds.
    3. CLM (climbing) and looking for a Reverse Oblique Jink or Turning Oblique Jink if taking Ground Fire
    4. see #1
    5. Eddie's answer (it depends) Some pilots will get Uglier (lower) than others

Checkout anything here you want and have fun.
    Last edited by Gunny; 06Sep16 at 15:55.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gunny For This Useful Post:

Pixar (06Sep16)

Germany
       Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks a lot for your answer Gunny!

As you suggested, I will have a look at your TTP3 and I am sure I will have fun on this forum.

Also thank you to the 476th for providing all this great material.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    On point 5. - min AGL depends on dive angle. Higher dive angles give more accuracy, less round dispersion and (IRL) better penetration. In your example these are not key factors as you are engaging an area soft target. That means you could accept a low angle run and thus use a low abort altitude if that makes setting up your re-attack quicker.

Having said that, if ground fire was heavy and you were more concerned about not getting hit instead of speedy re-attack then a higher angle strafe with a higher (4000+) min alt followed by a CLM SEM to get back to altitude would minimise your time in the bad-guys weapons envelope.

Germany
       Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Scaley!