Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverze View Post
    take an ultra-wide and your 4K screen of the same width and mount them on the wall, yours top, the ultrawide below it. Now set the zoom level to be exactly the same, such that measuring the fire handles with a ruler would put them at the same width. In that scenario I would think that what oliver says applies, or not?
    I'd say it has to, yes. That is if you forget about the 200px horizontal difference between 4k and ultrawide.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverze View Post
    Now set the zoom level to be exactly the same, such that measuring the fire handles with a ruler would put them at the same width. In that scenario I would think that what oliver says applies, or not?
    Don't get too hung up here, physical size is one thing and resolution is another, they are of course related but not quite so simply. You have to compare current ultrawides to either 1920x1080 in the case of 2560x1080 screens or 2560x1440 in the case of 3440x1440 screens.

4k 3840x2160 would have to be compared to a 5040x2160 ultrawide, which don't exist yet as no consumer GPU has the power to drive them in practice. Actual physical screen size doesn't change what you see rendered, only the resolution does (a 32 inch 4k screen will show exactly the same view as a 65 inch 4k screen).

Screen size is more of matter of how far away you physically sit from the screen, the further away the larger the screen you need. Or you need a higher resolution screen if you're sitting close to have the same perception of Pixels Per Inch. The trouble is that with 4k 16:9 you can't easily adjust the FoV in DCS to give you the same view you'd get with an ultrawide so you end up with a higher resolution version of what you get with 1080 and 1440, albeit with a little more in view.
    Last edited by Eddie; 13Sep16 at 20:11.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Exactly oliver, you'd have less vertical real estate but the same horizontally. However those screenshots gunny shows look to say that's not really the case. That's hard to judge though because default zoom level across different resolutions would be different, so matching the zoom using a ruler on the fire handles, my guess would be that the 4K screen would be set at a slightly more zoomed out setting than the ultrawide

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    The trouble is that with 4k 16:9 you can't easily adjust the FoV in DCS to give you the same view you'd get with an ultrawide so you end up with a higher resolution version of what you get with 1080 and 1440, albeit with a little more in view.
    That was something I didn't realise. That changes things quite a bit. For me personally in favour of the ultrawide actually. I don't necessarily need a huge screen, but I'd like more horizontal FoV.
    Last edited by Reverze; 13Sep16 at 20:17.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    The default FoV in DCS is the same for a given aspect ratio (based on vertical FoV iirc), so all 16:9 screens will show the same regardless of their resolution, the same is true for all 16:10 showing the same and all 21:9s being the same. All that changes is how many pixels that view is made from.

That's why Gunny and other 4k users can see things more clearly further away, something that is made of only 1 pixel on a 1920x1080 screen is made from 4 pixels on a 3840x2160 screen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Reverze (13Sep16)

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts
    So the question remains, curved or flat... While most reviews say it helps immersion it's pretty much useless for anything else and it almost doubles the price.

But it does look cool
    Last edited by Oliver; 13Sep16 at 22:27.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Kimi is always complaining about how I can see aircraft and ground targets 10-20nm out.

So my point is go as Big as you can possibly get or go home.
    Keep in mind that big curved monitors and super-duper-wide screens don't necesarily increase your survivability
    I've seen people with all those monitor setups eat bombs, missiles, and mountains.

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
    I've seen people with all those monitor setups eat bombs
    LIAR!

That was with a regular monitor : )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:

Kimi (14Sep16)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    So the question remains, curved or flat... While most reviews say it helps immersion it's pretty much useless for anything else and it almost doubles the price.

But it does look cool
    Yeah I don't have any experience with a curved screen, I think I'll love it for games but I imagine (possibly undeservedly) that I'd get annoyed with it when I'm just browsing or working on my computer or something.

Price wise it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. I don't know where you usually look for hardware, but I tend to stick to www.tweakers.net/pricewatch. I'm guessing you're familiar with that site Oliver but if you have any better places I might look, since you're in the Netherlands too, please let me know! The cheapest flat screen on tweakers is 599 EUR and the cheapest curved is 699 (both are LG screens).

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts
    Will take another look. I was comparing the more expensive curved vs. flat panels when I looked last time.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Yeah the curved ones have a much higher ceiling price-wise, they go all the way up to 1250 EUR whereas the (smaller) selection of flat-panels tops out at about 800 EUR. As far as they are comparable, curved looks to be around 750, versus around 600 for its flat counterpart. Interestingly they are without exception 34" diagonal on tweakers.