Thread: Yaw Trim on the A-10C

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yaw Trim on the A-10C

One thing that I have notice is that DCS has done such a great job with dynamics modelling, that different payloads create different adverse yaw on the airplane.

During flight, I try and trim that yaw out, but sometimes during the turns I always end up uncoordinated, which can make for some very frustrating bombing/strafe/attack runs. Any suggestions on how to mitigate the yaw that gets induced?

Right now I am using the Thrustmaster Warthog, which is absolutely worth every single penny spent on it. I need to get pedals for it, just don t have the ching to invest in them quite yet (December is a much different story lol).

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Must be a interesting payload to make you use yaw trim.

Generally the only time i used yaw trim was with single engine flight home. And even then you must keep that trim in mind, cause once you throttle back on landing that trim comes in to effect big time.

Poland
       Poland

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    When you want to have coordinated turn then you always have to correct for adverse yaw - you need to overcome drag from the aileron, so you need to use rudders during the turns. Having said that, A10 has a SAS (Stability Augmentation System) system which improves pitch and yaw characteristics and provides you automatic turn coordination - but this is not a replacement for pilot inputs it just helps you with it.

I am using rudders when I want to do coordinate turns, during AAR or small corrections in formation flying as well during cross wind for forward slip to landing.

Additionally if I am not mistaken the SAS system for A10C in DCS is not implemented correctly and with the system turned on you need to apply more rudder inputs than you would in real plane.

About bombing/strafe/attack runs - just stop doing this when in turn or rolled to the left or right - keep you platform steady, wings level and just then perform your attack
    Last edited by IronHog; 20Nov16 at 08:15.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IronHog For This Useful Post:

Hansolo (20Nov16), Reverze (20Nov16), Swordfish (20Nov16)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I do know about adverse yaw, quite well...

That s what I thought it was, exacerbated because of the payload on the wings. Now I m finding out DCS got it wrong and it requires more rudder inputs than what is required. So, here s the question: any way to tweak or dampen it?

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Personally I never use Yaw trim as like any other form of trim it will only stay 'balanced' if you continue to fly at the airspeed at which you set it.

The one situation I would consider it would be single engine operation but to be honest I usually just fly with the rudder pedal slightly depressed.

I actually never even use the rudder to coordinate my turns in the air and find the SAS does a perfectly adequate job.

The only time I actually use the rudder during flight is for crosswind landings.