510th vFS SC
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Also curves on your controls makes a world of difference. Thank you Frodo for that tip.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:

Jay (08Dec16)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMEDooley View Post
    Also curves on your controls makes a world of difference. Thank you Frodo for that tip.
    As much of a difference curves make, make every effort to not use curves. Overall it will help your flying as you will learn great control of the stick.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    is cool i can do it but takes to long and sucsess rate is only say 1 in 4 atemps when i can do it 4 for 4 and without thinking i will be ready. there is no rush .
    A cold war weapon system.However there was a cost over run.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    As much of a difference curves make, make every effort to not use curves. Overall it will help your flying as you will learn great control of the stick.
    On a short based joystick do you find the control to be accurately depicted without curves? I feel if you had a lengthened stick that had equal or similar movement of an A-10C in cockpit, a small movement in the stick would equal a small movement in axis. Without the curves a slight input would equal a real world large input, say 1/8th" back pressure (0' joystick) = 2" back pressure (2.5' joystick) and you wouldn't have that fine input option. Again, you could modify your stick to be from the floor up.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    if i cant afford the nevarda map how can i afford the stick extentions. my Warthog is on finace as it is.
    A cold war weapon system.However there was a cost over run.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    On a short based joystick do you find the control to be accurately depicted without curves? I feel if you had a lengthened stick that had equal or similar movement of an A-10C in cockpit, a small movement in the stick would equal a small movement in axis. Without the curves a slight input would equal a real world large input, say 1/8th" back pressure (0' joystick) = 2" back pressure (2.5' joystick) and you wouldn't have that fine input option. Again, you could modify your stick to be from the floor up.
    I use the stick the way it came from the manufacturer. I never took it off of the base. I simply slide the rectangular base between my legs. I would assume that with a lengthened stick, it may be more accurate to RL. I spent countless hours just flying around making 10°, 20°, 30°, and 60° turns, all fast and slow, just to get the feel of how much back pressure I'd need to make a safe and accurate turn. I still over compensate sometimes but know when it's going to happen so I can quickly correct the turn. Like most will tell you, it all comes together with lots of PRACTICE!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ski For This Useful Post:

Amy (08Dec16)

Amytollah

510th vFS SC
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    I use the stick the way it came from the manufacturer. I never took it off of the base. I simply slide the rectangular base between my legs. I would assume that with a lengthened stick, it may be more accurate to RL. I spent countless hours just flying around making 10°, 20°, 30°, and 60° turns, all fast and slow, just to get the feel of how much back pressure I'd need to make a safe and accurate turn. I still over compensate sometimes but know when it's going to happen so I can quickly correct the turn. Like most will tell you, it all comes together with lots of PRACTICE!

I was doing the same thing but I was having so much difficulty keeping the jet where I wanted during AAR and I was refusing to use curves. But when Frodo told me that they really make you have far more control then I tried it. Man he wasn't kidding. But kudos to you Ski, what you did was nothing short of amazing in my opinion.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Curves and stick mount shouldn't be a barrier. I've got the stock wathog on a desk with no extension or curves. Your hands are certainly capable of making the inputs small enough, it's more about training your brain! The key thought process to have for refuelling (and formation in general) is that unless you are about to have a mid-air there is no rush to correct your position. Make a control input and then allow the jet time to respond.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scaley For This Useful Post:

Ski (08Dec16)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Karla-
    I wasn't telling you to buy a stick extension. I was making the argument why it's more accurate to use curves on your joystick than not to. To each their own though.

Scaley-
    I didn't say it was a barrier, I was making the point that I think it's more "accurate" (in the stick flying I've done). I do use an X-55 instead of the Warthog, so maybe when I switch over it'll feel different and I won't have that opinion of curves anymore.
    Last edited by Jay; 08Dec16 at 06:53.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    To be honest I've always found the Warthog stick overly sensitive but I prefer a linear response over using curves. Also some aircraft are more 'twitchy' than others in real life but if you set custom curves in the sim so they all fly just the way you like I think you lose some of their individual handling characteristics.

With that said, I'm hoping Thrustmaster create a stick with the correct amount of throw when the F-18 is released!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Amy (08Dec16), Jay (08Dec16)