Thread: AMD Zen (Ryzen)

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

AMD Zen (Ryzen)

So I watched some of AMD's livestream of its new chip last night and here are the key specs so far:

14nm
    8 core/16 thread
    3.4GHz+ (unknown boost frequency)
    95w TDP

In the benchmarks they ran it kept pace with an i7 6900K running at stock frequency with boost enabled while the Ryzen chip was at 3.4GHz with boost disabled.

I'm pretty wary of their custom benchmarks though and it will be interesting to see how it competes in real world applications.

If the price is around the £300/$400 mark as rumoured and it's actually competitive with Broadwell X99 chips it could be a real game changer but I've been disappointed in AMD too often lately to get excited.

As a side note, Intel's latest 7700K is turning out to be an uninspired, barely incremental upgrade that leverages most of its performance boost from marginally increased clock speeds and virtually no IPC gains so I'd really like to see the CPU market get the shakeup it so desperately needs.
    Last edited by Howie; 14Dec16 at 11:54.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I'd really like to see the CPU market get the shakeup it so desperately needs.
    Me too! I switched from AMD to intel quite recently purely for DCS, but I've always loved and bought AMD for it's value. A bit of competition is always a good thing. I've always disliked that in the CPU market you really only have AMD and Intel, and the GPU market Nvidia and AMD. It would be a great thing to have another competitor in the mix but with PC sales in decline I'm aware that won't happen anytime soon..

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    The far more interesting item on AMD's horizon is the potential for Intel to begin to use AMD GPUs, both integrated and platform supported.

If that happens, AMD's R&D budget gets a huge boost, which will ultimately lead to a much more interesting (and competitive) product line.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I've always thought AMD APU's were underpowered and Intel CPU's overpriced... So a combination of the two doesn't exactly fill me with joy. If the price is right and the performance adequate though, it could make for a good budget gaming system and at least bring in some more revenue for AMD.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    I believe the APUs were always meant to be budget based so I don't know if I'd call them underpowered given their design intent, but the issue is that AMD, with all of its debt, just can't keep pace with Intel because its got no real budget for R&D.

AMD and nVidia own all of the graphics patents, which is why Intel's own GPUs suck. But the Intel/nVidia payoff agreement is done at the end of this year, and with all of the focus on AI, nVidia is the far bigger threat to Intel, which means Intel is very likely to collaborate with AMD... which is weird but the most logical outcome. That doesn't mean anything for us in the next few months, but if it should happen, we'll finally have true competition between AMD and Intel again, ala late 90s early 00s, and Intel won't be able to make due with incremental updates like the 7700K anymore.

Condom

76th vFS Pilot
    Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
    AMD and nVidia own all of the graphics patents, which is why Intel's own GPUs suck. But the Intel/nVidia payoff agreement is done at the end of this year, and with all of the focus on AI, nVidia is the far bigger threat to Intel, which means Intel is very likely to collaborate with AMD... which is weird but the most logical outcome. That doesn't mean anything for us in the next few months, but if it should happen, we'll finally have true competition between AMD and Intel again, ala late 90s early 00s, and Intel won't be able to make due with incremental updates like the 7700K anymore.
    This is what i'm looking for, some good competition between the two that will lead to better and hopefully less expensive CPUs.
    http://www.476vfightergroup.com/signaturepics/sigpic1750_22.gif

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Yeah, it's a sorry state of affairs that in order to get a CPU with 30% more performance than my 5 year old CPU I have to spend 30% more than I did 5 years ago...

i5 2500K price in 2011 = £160
    i5 6600K price in 2016 = £220

"Overclocking both processors to 4.2 GHz the performance difference between the two CPUs at the same frequency is 28% on average"
    Last edited by Howie; 15Dec16 at 12:11.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Energy (15Dec16)

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    "Overclocking both processors to 4.2 GHz the performance difference between the two CPUs at the same frequency is 28% on average"
    Got my i5 2500K to 4.8Ghz recently. Seems stable, still need to do some more "testing" as I did not have time yet. But I love this CPU. It wasn't expensive when I bought it and there's really no need to replace it with anything never. Especially not considering the high overclocking potential and performance comparison with newer CPUs on stock speeds.
    Last edited by Kenta; 16Dec16 at 11:18.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I know what you mean... It's a fantastic chip. Unfortunately I lost the silicone lottery with mine and it needs almost 1.3V to be stable at 4.2GHz.

Looking back, had I known it was going to last me 5+ years I would have gone for the 2600K for an extra £60... At the time hyperthreading wasn't seen as being worth it for gaming though.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Although far from official or verifiable, these benchmarks are more in line with what I expected. Pretty disappointing if they turn out to be accurate and an i5 6600 ends up being as good for gaming with only 4 threads.

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...intels-core-i7