United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts

DCS Frame Freezing

I just upgraded my motherboard, reinstalled Windows 10 and DCS, and have been struggling this week to get DCS running on it at least as good as my old motherboard ran it. I’ve been fighting a severe stuttering / frame freezing problem with it... Last night’s FN with Reb was a real ordeal, with all the freezing I experienced. I think I finally corrected the problem this morning. Hopefully, you will not run into a similar problem, but if you do maybe this will help, if you’re not already familiar with the solution…

My new PC configuration is:
    i7-10700K
    Samsung 2TB M.2 SSD
    32GB DDR4 3200 CL14

RTX 2080
    Primary Monitor: Asus PG279Q 2560x1440
    Secondary Monitor (MFCD’s only): Samsung SyncMaster 1440x900

During my troubleshooting I ran DCS with all combinations of with/without: G-Sync, TrackIR, my secondary monitor, no mods, and min. mods for our servers. I also tried DCS repair, changing video cards to my old RTX 1080, disabling Windows Defender, etc. None of this worked.

I read Internet threads about DCS stuttering with Windows, with a myriad of things to try. But this morning, I found a DCS forum thread from a couple of years ago that pointed me to my solution. As part of my new installation, I had also installed Malwarebytes to supplement Defender, and it turns out that Malwarebytes was the problem. I had optioned Malwarebytes to not notify Windows when it was running (to allow Defender to be active), and disabled Malwarebytes at startup, via Windows Task Manager. However, it turned out that Malwarebytes was running in the background anyway. When I disabled it from starting up with Windows, by options within the Malwarebytes app itself (and also added my DCS folder to its “Allow List”, for good measure), the next time I ran DCS on our DS1 everything was smooth again!

I’m now seeing 90+ fps when flying around Nellis, with no stuttering or freezes, and have decided to not throw the new motherboard out my window, after all. I guess it takes one of these type episodes every once in a while to make you appreciate it when DCS is simply running normally.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hiccup For This Useful Post:

Emmy (21Aug20), Nomad (21Aug20), Puma (22Aug20), Reaper (24Aug20)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Glad you found the solution!

Also glad I don't have to fear low-flying motherboards...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmy For This Useful Post:

Hiccup (22Aug20)

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    Sometimes it helps defining the DCS folder also as an exception in the antivirus software. And then hope that ED doesn't put a virus in it
    (You could leave the downloads folder of DCS in, because there's where stuff gets extracted, so you still could do a scan there.)

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuka For This Useful Post:

Hiccup (22Aug20)

VOPER

421st vFS Pilot
    United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    I'm seeing stutters on the ground at Nellis, without loss of FPS which is strange??

I don't have Malware installed on my pc

I find your lack of faith disturbing

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    950 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    I'm seeing stutters on the ground at Nellis, without loss of FPS which is strange??

I don't have Malware installed on my pc
    There's low FPS which results in choppy gameplay and there's (micro) stutters. They're not the same, you can have one without the other. Low FPS is often just hardware that's not up to the task and/or badly optimized games. Stutters is either faulty hardware, faulty software, or a unique combination of particular hardware with particular software that just don't play well with each other. The latter seems to be the case in DCS lately. Unfortunately, if you read the community posts you'll see that the newer the hardware, the more stuttering issues people have.

Here's a presentation by NVIDIA on stutters and how to fix them, but it might be a little too much for the average PC user. See if it can help you though: https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/d...nalysis_EN.pdf

And here's a more layman-friendly article: https://www.pcgamer.com/what-is-micr...w-do-i-fix-it/

Ultimately, CapFrameX is a nice and free tool to help you analyse your graphics performance but that too requires a thorough understanding of how it all works.
    Last edited by Oliver; 21Aug20 at 23:46.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:

Florence (21Aug20), Kampf (23Aug20), Puma (22Aug20)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Ran across a couple of posts on the ED boards suggesting a slight reduction in Preload Radius (down to 70%) helped reduce or eliminate stutters.

Just a PSA

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmy For This Useful Post:

Hiccup (24Aug20), Reaper (24Aug20)

VOPER

421st vFS Pilot
    United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    Ran across a couple of posts on the ED boards suggesting a slight reduction in Preload Radius (down to 70%) helped reduce or eliminate stutters.

Just a PSA
    I'm running at 100000 pre-load radius, which is about 70-75% on the slider bar

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Canada
       Canada

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    That makes a ton of sense. I think many of the stutters are caused by not being able to have enough textures in gpu memory at the same time. Less radius=fewer objects=less swapping in/out of gpu. Reducing texture quality should also help, but both are difficult compromises to make