Thread: Fuel Planning Tool (FPT)

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    I sent Jell-O from the Fighter Pilot Podcast an email with some basic questions about fuel planning in the Hornet. Trying to skip my fanboyism and admiration in the email, this is what he answered:

My questions are:

- Without getting into tactics or specific data, what parameters do you usually plan ahead going into combat? Such as turn capabilities, dive recovery, endurance, etc.

- Do you guys develop some sort of Take Off and Landing Data card before each flight? If so, how would that work on carrier based operations?

- Do pilots perform a standard max performance climb/descent everytime you have to change altitudes significantly?

------------------------

Hello Gerardo,

Thanks for your note and the enthusiasm—people like you are why I produce this show! I have recently become aware of DCS but am not currently involved; apparently it is great fun for those who were not blessed to do it for real.

Regarding your questions, dive recovery rules are taught early in training and never change. They are a “standard.” Turn capabilities are considered usually during briefs or training sessions when we want to compare fighters with different configurations at various fuel settings and altitudes.

Yes, we always calculate takeoff numbers ashore, specifically distance, single-engine considerations, nose-wheel and main wheel lift off speeds, abort speeds, etc. Afloat, the shooters take care of it for us, we just have to know our gross weight (see episode 12). Landing data is available real time and you simply have to land below a certain weight (less on a carrier than at the field).

We normally climb in MIL and descend at idle power.

Hope that helps. Thanks, we’ll see you around the show!

Best,
    Jell-O
    This dude is a champion.

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kimi For This Useful Post:

Amy (15Jul18), DirtyRazor (12Jul18), Dojo (12Jul18), Gliptal (14Jul18), Hiccup (12Jul18), Snoopy (12Jul18), Tex (12Jul18)

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Hornet Drivers:

I have already created a mini-tool called "Hornet Bingo Calculator" that was shared initially to some 510th pilots, but I'd like to have some feedback: Hornet Bingo Calculator

It's very basic and not that intuitive right now and might require some knowledge about the payload weights and drag index system (Working on a payload/drag calculator already).

The basic instructions are the following:
    1 - Input the availabe engines you might expect to have at a given stage of the flight. I'd leave it as "2".
    2 - Select the gear config.
    3 - Select Flaps setting.
    4 - Input zero fuel weight of the aircraft in lbs (aircraft+stores).
    5 - Input Drag Index.
    6 - Distance to homeplate in Nautical Miles
    7 - Input expected headwind at a given stage fo the flight (ie: in the direction of homeplate).

The data is based on:
    A. INITIAL ALTITUDE IS SEA LEVEL.
    B. MILITARY THRUST CLIMB TO INDICATED ALTITUDE.
    C. 250 KCAS IDLE THRUST DESCENT TO SEA LEVEL (SPEEDBRAKE RETRACTED).
    D. FUEL REQUIRED INCLUDES 1500 POUNDS RESERVE FUEL.

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimi For This Useful Post:

Emmy (25Jan19), ExNusquam (29Jan19), Onyx (25Jan19), Snoopy (25Jan19)

France
       France
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi Kimi,

Will there be a FPT for the F-16?

Germany
       Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi Kimi,

it looks like the fuel planning tool is not available to public anymore? I was hoping to use it for F-5E fuel planning... Any chance I could get hands on it?

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    950 Posts
    Hi,

Kimi is no longer an active member of the 476th so I'm not sure he'll read this. We're also no longer hosting the FPT because development stopped when Kimi left. You may reach out to me on Discord and I'll see if we have it available in an internal archive.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave