Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts

40" 4K Monitors

Well...

Initially I wanted to go for a 34" ultrawide, driven by my GTX 1070. Then LG came up with this very sweet 37.5" ultrawide (3840x1600) so I was considering that together with a new GTX 1080Ti. Now I realized that a 38" ultrawide is physically about as wide as a 40" 4K and has the same horizontal resolution so I might just as well go 4K for the extra vertical space which I think I'll really appreciate, both for simming and everyday use. I don't want to go above 42" because of the PPI ratio.

The downside however is that there aren't much 40" or 42" 4K monitors. Only a handful and they are not really top-tier screens á la Dell's ultrasharp, LG's gaming screens, and Asus' gaming screens.

Does anybody here have a 40" 4K screen, and what's your experience with it?
    Last edited by Oliver; 25Apr17 at 09:27.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

Germany
       Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I have this one, super happy with it. Bought a 'gaming TV' first, but immediately returned it since there was little but noticeable input lag, or delay between the mouse movement and the cursor, a total no go (I play DOTA as well)

Then I got this one

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM43...ds=phillips+4k

Its not TV but a dedicated monitor and Im super happy with it! can only recommend

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy For This Useful Post:

Oliver (25Apr17)

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i have been looking at screens for a while now, checked out all of the LG ones including the 37" you mentioned, the issue i have is that i am already running a 4k monitor all be it a 27", so i was a little unsure of dropping some res for a wider profile. I personally have discounted the curved monitors as they do not have the actual 4k res and the most if not all come with freesync, which wont work with my NVidia 1080. So i am thinking that a 32" dell or the new 32" LG HDR10 monitor will be my choice, still havent decided yet though

Cheers Specter

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts
    Thanks for the input.

Still not sure what to do. I've made paper sheets in the sizes of 32" 4K, 42" 4K, and 38" ultrawide. I've put them on the wall at which my desk is attached to and I've come to the conclusion that 32" is way too small overall, and 38" ultrawide is not high enough. Since the transition from 4:3 to 16:9 years ago I've been missing the vertical space. This leaves me with 40" or 42" 4K. I don't really care about a curved screen.

Ideally I want:
    - 10-bit HDR
    - 3840x2160
    - 40"+
    - < 5ms
    - IPS
    - Optional: G-sync

Still waiting for LG, Asus, et al., to launch something like this.
    Last edited by Oliver; 19Jun17 at 10:53.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave