Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    950 Posts

OPS Checks

I've seen some people mentioning OPS checks in their MDC notes in the past and Tex introduced me to the concept during our last flight together.

From the 3-3.3:
    3.1.3 Operations checks
    Ops checks will be initiated by the flight leader. This is the time to confirm proper fuel state, fuel transfer, engine operation,and operation of life support equipment. It is each pilot's responsibility to continually check these items without prompting by the flight leader. When conducting ops checks or changing a radio frequency, keep your eyes on lead while turning your head slowly toward the gauge or component to be checked. When comfortable, and without sacrificing aircraft control, glance at the gauge or component. Change frequencies incrementally. Staying in position is more important than a quick radio change. A good flight lead understands this challenge and will give wingmen ample time to complete the task. When changing MID radio frequencies, use the UHF remote channel indicator to minimize cranium-down time.
    With the above paragraph taken into account, what would be included in an OPS check besides total fuel QTY? What would I report regarding the engine operation and life support equipment?

Also, Tex included the remaining stores. Do we have to include that as well?
    Last edited by Oliver; 04May17 at 13:10.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    What you check as part of the ops check, and what you report over comms are two different things. If there are no problems then all you need report over comms is fuel state.

For the F-5E we check oxygen qty, engine status, internal fuel and external fuel. And then report the reading from both fuel systems as well as the status of external tanks, if carried.

As to the format of the ops check, and what should be checked, in the A-10 I'll leave that to Tex and Stuka to determine.
    Last edited by Eddie; 04May17 at 14:33.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Oliver (04May17)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    I check oxygen, fuel, chaff/flare, and munitions along with a general, "is my shit working" look at the instruments and gauges. Typically I report fuel remaining but as lead I'll add/ask for anything I feel is relevant such as flap position and brake pressure when flying with Dojo.

Edit: last part is an inside joke, I don't really report flaps and brake pressure.
    Last edited by Tex; 04May17 at 16:12.
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tex For This Useful Post:

Dojo (04May17), Oliver (04May17)

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Would relevant weapon load be included in the report? I'd certainly be checking dsms if the check was anytime after fence in.

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    950 Posts
    I personally try to always do a DSMS check while flying outbound of the AO/range. If the DSMS or a previous situation causes any doubt I'll add a physical belly check as well.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    Typically I report fuel remaining but as lead I'll add/ask for anything I feel is relevant such as flap position and brake pressure when flying with Dojo.
    "8.7, flaps, gear, zipper position full down, Scar Jo sighted, partial wood"

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dojo For This Useful Post:

Amy (06May17), Noodle (04May17), Stuka (04May17)

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
    "8.7, flaps, gear, zipper position full down, Scar Jo sighted, partial wood"
    Is there a Jag mate around?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trigger For This Useful Post:

Dojo (04May17)