Canada
       Canada

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Woot Woot!

Hi all, my name is Sean, yes I AM CANADIAN. living Easts coast, that is ALT or UTC -4

Retired from the Canadian Navy after 29.5 years with the rank of CPO2... NATO standard OR-8 or American Armed Forces - First Sergeant. Sailed on 9 different Ships, mostly north Atlantic side of the world stuff as a Weapons Tech. My claim to fame, even though we don't specialize on a specific weapon, is the Phalanx, also know as the Close in Weapons system or CIWS.... the hull number of HMCS Halifax is 330, my name for everything online is CIWS330. To keep it simple you gauys can just call me CIWS (SEA WHIZ). Two Kids both moved out 26 and 29. Still Married, not sure how or why. Fully retired, hurt my back bad in the service, two surgeries since I got out in 2015. Looking forward to getting back in the Kayak but even a sore back wont keep me off the Motor Bike, 2010 Honda Fury (chromed to the max).

This is my second attempt at joining the 476th and I cant tell you how cool it is to be getting a second chance. I have worked hard at getting up to a standard that would be acceptable to the 476th and can not tell you how great it will be to be able to ask questions... kinda feeling like I am at the end of the self taught phase. I have a new computer being built as we speak, looking forward to seeing DCS World in its full glory.

Amytollah

vVFA-97 Pilot
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts
    Wait till you get VR.... Mind Blown! Anyway, welcome to the forums. I'm glad you applied and it took me two attempts as well. Stupid house building lol. I hope to see you in the NTTR skies soon. I'll be in the Mirage scaring the shit out of you lol.

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Welcome, Lebowski!

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimi For This Useful Post:

CIWS (10Jul17), Ragtop (09Jul17)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts
    Welcome!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hiccup For This Useful Post:

CIWS (10Jul17)

Canada
       Canada

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    VR was and still is on the table. I was told it was still not really refined enough, please advise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CIWS For This Useful Post:

Amy (10Jul17)

Amytollah

vVFA-97 Pilot
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts
    It's resolution isn't where it needs to be to make it super awesome, but you get used to it really fast and I can't fly any other way now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:

CIWS (10Jul17)

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    966 Posts
    Amy, do you fly the Hawg with VR?

How do you manage your keyboard, documents/checklists, and physical scratchpad (for CAS and stuff)?

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

Canada
       Canada

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I understand that the Oculus has a space at that bottom that allows you to sneak a peak at the keyboard... my considerations are answered as soon as you say the resolution is not where it needs to be yet. What is the resolution and what are the penalties for that lower res. Can you still pick up the bad and good guys from the required distance?

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    966 Posts
    For VR it's more practical to measure resolutions in PPD: Pixels Per Degree (of viewing angle) instead of number of pixels on a rectangular surface or screen. As a very rough ballpark figure you may assume that the human eye will see a smooth picture at 60 PPD, in other words 1 pixel per arc-minute. There are numerous other factors to be taken into consideration such as where the object is placed in the eye's FOV (we see less sharp at the edges of our FOV), what the color of the object is, and whether your eyes are adjusted to daylight or nighttime environments.

The Oculus CV1 has a resolution of approx. 6 PPD. It's unfair to translate that relatively and say it's crappy because it's operating at 10% of the sharpness we can distinguish but it still is very low. I've tested it a couple of times and it's lots of fun but we can conclude that VR in general is still in its infancy.

The issue that has to be overcome is you need a much, much higher resolution and you would need hardware that can render images at high frame-rates. There are techniques in place to reduce the effects of a low resolution but the results don't come close to an actual super resolution VR solution.

I've been digging into VR for a while now as I'm interested in the concept in general. I've found an interesting short YT by some professor giving a lecture about it. Pretty much explains the current situation and his own future perspective. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GV7qzhONk
    Last edited by Oliver; 10Jul17 at 15:45.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:

CIWS (10Jul17)

Condom

76th vFS Pilot
    Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I understand that the Oculus has a space at that bottom that allows you to sneak a peak at the keyboard... my considerations are answered as soon as you say the resolution is not where it needs to be yet. What is the resolution and what are the penalties for that lower res. Can you still pick up the bad and good guys from the required distance?
    Space at the bottom is so tiny that it won't allow you to see pretty much anything.. That's a good thing otherwise you would have a compromised experience. The resolution isn't "there" yet, you will have a wonderful experience, you will be able to perfectly fly an airplane and read its basic instruments without too many problems, some small writings will be hard to read tho.

The biggest problem, in the A10, is that the head position is totally wrong, it's too forward and close to the hud. You can trick the system by leaning forward and re-centering the view but it's still not ideal. In other planes like the F5 for example, it's much better. The other problem with VR and the way we fly the A10, is that you can't quick look at any document (you could use the kneeboard ofc but it's not the same thing) and you can't write down things on a piece of paper. I'm not gonna talk about the visibility of other aircraft/ground targets cause it's all screwed up atm, Oculus or not.

As i said, it's a great experience with some aircrafts and not that great with others, unfortunately the A10 is in the "not that great" list.
    http://www.476vfightergroup.com/signaturepics/sigpic1750_22.gif