United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts

Thunderbirds Class A Mishap

So Thunderbird 7 went off the side of the runway during landing in a thunderstorm at the show site in Dayton today and ended up in the grass inverted. It took almost two hours to get the pilot and non-aircrew passenger out of the jet. Both are ok.

Amytollah

510th vFS SC
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    At least they're okay. I guarantee the DV will never forget that ride.
    Let The Purple Patches Reign

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    2 hours of hanging upside down in a lawn dart full of hydrazine...chance of a lifetime for the non-aircrew passenger. Glad everyone was ok.
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    I was expecting it to be one of the local reporters, being a Friday afternoon before the show tomorrow, but it was a maintainer in the back seat. When I first heard about it, I didn't know it was upside down. I was imagining what it would be like to ground egress an F-16 with a reporter in the back. What a nightmare.

Speaking of nightmarish F-16 egress stories, I read this one last week:

http://www.airforcemag.com/AircraftA...16C_Nellis.pdf

Amytollah

510th vFS SC
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Man that sucks. Those are the accidents that are the hardest.
    Let The Purple Patches Reign

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Speaking of nightmarish F-16 egress stories, I read this one last week:

http://www.airforcemag.com/AircraftA...16C_Nellis.pdf
    I responded to that crash, that was the most intense scary situation I have ever been involved with. The one aircraft still had a canopy, and there was a pilot walking around. The other jet was missing the canopy, but the forward section was engulfed in flames. It wasn't to after the smoke had died down, did I realize the other pilot was still in the jet.

This should be viewable without a Facebook page. This is the pilot after recovering.
    https://www.facebook.com/AirForceFES...2431581191439/

Two things saved that pilots life, one the fire dept was outside doing the morning inspections on the vehicles. The first truck out of the bay didn't wait for the crew. Two, he rolled straight out, and went directly to the crash, off road style.
    Last edited by Panther; 24Jun17 at 02:36.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Panther For This Useful Post:

Baxter (24Jun17), Gliptal (24Jun17), Hansolo (24Jun17), Noodle (24Jun17), Tex (24Jun17)

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    Amazing job by the Nellis guys damn.

May I ask what happened (or may have happened) to MP1 and MP2 from a strictly military disciplinary action sense? They both did something wrong that day (although it reads like MP2 was the larger factor): were they allowed to fly again? The section describing the pilots careers uses the past tense for example.

EDIT: Nevermind, watched the video and I was glad to hear MP2 say he's looking forwar to stepping back into a jet. I guess incidents like these are deemed "normal mishaps"? Even with the loss of $68M.
    Last edited by Gliptal; 24Jun17 at 11:00.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
    Amazing job by the Nellis guys damn.

May I ask what happened (or may have happened) to MP1 and MP2 from a strictly military disciplinary action sense? They both did something wrong that day (although it reads like MP2 was the larger factor): were they allowed to fly again? The section describing the pilots careers uses the past tense for example.

EDIT: Nevermind, watched the video and I was glad to hear MP2 say he's looking forwar to stepping back into a jet. I guess incidents like these are deemed "normal mishaps"? Even with the loss of $68M.
    Can't speak about this specific incident obviously but one of the crucial things about high-performance organisations (and combat aviation is prob the single best example thereof) is that people don't get punished for mishaps because then they are more reluctant to give full and frank accounts of what actually happened. Keeping the whole deal punishment-free means you get more details from those involved because they aren't scared to give a full account, and that then helps you process improvement. Where I used to work we had "Dick of the day" which was the person who had to stand up in each morning briefing and talk about a cock-up they had made at some point in their career!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts