Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RV Delta (Point Parallel Rendezvous)

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    933 Posts

RV Delta (Point Parallel Rendezvous)

Lynx asked a very understandable question to which I couldn't give him a fully satisfying a answer.

The RV Delta procedure as described in our 3-3.3 as well as several official publicly available documents has you fly from the Rendezvous Initial Point (RVIP) to the Rendezvous Control Point (RVCP)so you end up at the RVCP at the Rendezvous Control Time (RVCT).

With DCS being DCS, is there anything we can use as an indication of what the RVCT would be? And is there anything else we should do besides using the DME and angle off the nose cues to facilitate the fighter turn-on seeing as tanker turn-on is not an option in DCS.

Separate question, how long are the tanker track legs in DCS?
    Last edited by Oliver; 16Aug17 at 15:18.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:

Lynx (16Aug17)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    ...With DCS being DCS, is there anything we can use as an indication of what the RVCT would be? And is there anything else we should do besides using the DME and angle off the nose cues to facilitate the fighter turn-on seeing as tanker turn-on is not an option in DCS.
    You could set up a custom mission and set the waypoints and timing for a proper RV Delta (or any other type you wanted). But since we run a persistent mission with tankers always on station in an orbit, we have to RV on them where ever they are in the orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Separate question, how long are the tanker track legs in DCS?
    In DCS in general or on NTTR? Our NTTR tracks are in the GE plug-in so you can pull up what ever track your curious about and use the range tool. If your asking in general, its what ever the mission designer sets them to.
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tex For This Useful Post:

Lynx (16Aug17)

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    933 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    In DCS in general or on NTTR? Our NTTR tracks are in the GE plug-in so you can pull up what ever track your curious about and use the range tool. If your asking in general, its what ever the mission designer sets them to.
    Well that's the thing. I've checked our NTTR mission and I don't see a variable in which the tanker's leg length has been put so I am assuming DCS has it fixed.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:

Lynx (16Aug17)

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,098 Posts
    The tanker leg on which he does the orbit, is the leg in between the waypoints 1 & 2 for that track.

So, for example Pegasus.1 and Pegasus.2. If you look it up in GE for Pegasus, the distance of 1 leg is 15 miles.
    What works best for me to RV with the tanker, is to fly to the IP (Pegasus.IP), and from there to Pegasus.1 and after that Pegasus.2.
    If the tanker is on the other leg, I wait until he's 45 degrees on my left nose, he will be about 10 miles from me there, and start a 30 degree bank turn tot the left. That mostly gives me a pretty good rejoin.

If I'm trailing him, I wait until he gets in the turn and take a lead turn on him, resulting in a pretty fast rejoin. Or if I'm trailing him by a good distance, wait until the gets on the other leg after his turn, and repeat the first scenario.

Sometimes you have the scenario where he is in the turn towards the .1 waypoint, when he arrives there. There I do a 360 turn to get behind him, mostly resulting in getting too far behind him. This case is mostly the ugliest rejoin.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuka For This Useful Post:

Lynx (17Aug17), Oliver (16Aug17)

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    I think it's between the waypoint with the track in its advanced options, and the following waypoint.

EDIT: Nevermind, sniped.

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    I guess ED can't be bothered to work on tanker AI and come up with proper rejoins. It can't be that hard to code.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,098 Posts
    What would you possible change? The tanker flies a well known track, that we can easily rejoin on.
    Since we're dealing with AI and not humans flying the tanker, I believe the current setup is the best.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuka For This Useful Post:

Snoopy (16Aug17)

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    933 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    What would you possible change? The tanker flies a well known track, that we can easily rejoin on.
    Since we're dealing with AI and not humans flying the tanker, I believe the current setup is the best.
    Well, it'd be nice if he broadcasted something like "Shell, initiating turn" and "Shell, rolling out". Would help a little in building SA. Interested to know how this stuff goes down IRL but I guess even if I'd know, there's no way this is ever going to find its way to DCS unless we have human controlled tanker crew.

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    A couple of scripts that would force the tanker to turn before the racetrack end in order to always provide with a head on rejoin. As it is now, you never now the tanker's position and direction when you hit the IP, which means you're guesstimating times and distances more than flying a mutual rejoin.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
    I guess ED can't be bothered to work on tanker AI and come up with proper rejoins. It can't be that hard to code.
    Lol...ED can't be bothered to code good ATC no way they could do what you're asking.