Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts

Possible dead GPU

It seems like my GPU is gone, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to be sure, and can't bring it in to check for a couple of weeks minimum. Here's what happened:

- While on TS, both monitors suddenly displayed horizontal dark and light grey thick lines, with a high pitched audio loop.
    - Rebooting always yields a smaller window on the main 1080p monitor, with garbled pink/purple/white borders during the initial BIOS screen.
    - Windows seems to load, but both monitors go eventually go black before the login screen, as if no video feed is sent.
    - Safe mode works, but the video feed is in a 720p window within the main 1080p monitor, and fullscreen on the 1280x1024 monitor. The feed is repeated on both monitors (not extended), but oddly enough only one is detected by Windows.
    - Disabling the GPU under the Device Manager allows a normal reboot to work, sometimes indefintely, other times for a few minutes only.
    - Reinstalling the GPU drivers (when normal mode works) puts the system in a state similar to the bootup one, with both monitors black but the PC seemingly running in the background.

It's the GPU isn't it?

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,108 Posts
    That has all the looks of a broken GPU yes.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    961 Posts
    I'm not sure what you mean by "I can't bring it in for a couple of weeks" and also in the on-leave thread you said it's likely going to take a couple of months before you're back due to this GPU.

Are you within the warranty period and can you RMA it? If so, just pack it in a parcel and ship it to the manufacturer or store, or drive over to the store to bring it. If you're outside the warranty period you're out of luck anyway and would have to buy a new one which normally ships within 1 or 2 working days.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "I can't bring it in for a couple of weeks"
    I buy most of my PC stuff from a small shop whose owners I know. That store is a couple hours of drive from where I study, I don't have a car, and exams are coming up again.

Are you within the warranty period and can you RMA it?
    Nope, it's my venerable 6-years old HD7850.

If you're outside the warranty period you're out of luck anyway and would have to buy a new one which normally ships within 1 or 2 working days.
    and also in the on-leave thread you said it's likely going to take a couple of months before you're back due to this GPU.
    Shipping times and choosing new hardware are not the problem, money is.

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    961 Posts
    OK, that explains it

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave