Thread: Trimming the trim?

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Trimming the trim?

Is there really no way to diminish the amount of trim with one click? I'm using CH Products Fighterstick USB and the velocity vector is either going up or down and never able to get the a/c to stay level at whatever speed. It seems there should be something in the config or where ever to decrease trim margin. Wouldn't this make a substantial difference in AAR?

Thx for any help.

Cord

Argentina
       Argentina

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I'm with a similar problem, I would like my down trim to go more down and I dont know how to do it. any ideas?

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    I Wouldn't this make a substantial difference in AAR?
    To be honest , practice AAR with as little trim as possible this way you train your movement on your stick better. So it doesnt really make a substantial difference. But to be clear you want to lower the amount of trim a button press ? if so I dont think that is possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I could be wrong, but I think it may be somehow linked to the curve you set in the x and y axis for your stick. I noticed that after I adjusted the curves a bit, I seemed to have a much easier time dialing in trim. It still can be a trick to get it fully levelled out, but it's not as "chunky" as it was before. I use autopilot a lot for the longer flight legs still, which eases the load a bit and lets me concentrate on other things while in flight. I haven't started tackling AAR yet, so can't comment on that either way.
    The rumors of my demise are premature. Ok, I've died twice but I keep coming back, I'm worse than a stray cat!

Argentina
       Argentina

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I mean... may be a center change to a nose low position on a config file might be possible. The thing is that I don't know in what file.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The X-52 has a function called "quanitize time" in the macro options. This allows the button press to be set at a desired duration. I have mine set at a very fast 0.010 sec between press and release of the button. This makes the trim only increase by the smallest amount possible with each press. Holding the trim hat down still has the same constant trim effect. I switched this from having the trim mapped in dcs joytick config file and it made a big different in the trim input. I can get my jet level at any speed very quickly and it does make refueling slightly easier. Although, I think the X and Y curves and throtle movement are much more important for better control during AAR.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Negative...and to be honest real world A-10s trim like crap too This is one of the first things I asked our pilots when I started flying DCS A-10C...

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    All very interesting - thx gents.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    If you read "Warthog", by Smallwood, there's a reference to the trim system in the A-10As. To loosely quote: the trim is so bad that if you want to out-maneuver a SAM, just let go of the stick!

Imagine hand-flying an a/c from Georgia (U.S.A.) to Saudi Arabia with lousy trim, no autopilot, and performing AAR in a thunderstorm; we've got it sooooo easy.
    “Get the nosewheel on the ****ing centerline.” - Al Hawley, my first IP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]