United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts

Overclock?

So I have no idea how to overclock my CPU or GPU. I’m not even sure if it would make a difference for me. Mainly cause it just seems to be our server that I have framerate issues. But I’d like to try something to see if I get something far better than what I am. I used Jabbers setting with out shadows and it’s fabulous outside of our server so. Anyway it’ll be a while before I can obviously but just thought I’d ask you guys to see if I’d even be a good idea to try.
    Let The Purple Patches Reign

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts
    It depends on the hardware you're running so why don't you start by listing that for us.

GPU
    For DCS the GPU is not as important as the CPU because the sim is hugely CPU-dependent. That would be reason why you shouldn't bother with overclocking the GPU. Another reason is that you'll most likely already have some sort of manufacturer overclock or boost anyway unless you bought a reference card (recently dubbed 'Founders Edition' in the NVIDIA camp) which is running on base clock speeds.

CPU
    Depending on the make and model it is most likely very easy to overclock the CPU and also relatively safe unless you really screw up somewhere. The i7 K-models of Intel's quad core i7-series are known to overclock very easily (they're kind of made with OC in mind) and you can achieve boosts like +10% and +15% on your base clock speeds, again depending on your model. This sort of OCs is noticeable in DCS. Especially when you're in the 30-ies with your FPS, an additional 5 frames would be welcome I guess.

An example, i7 4790K: 4.0Ghz base - 4.4Ghz factory OC (called Intel Turbo Boost) - 4.7Ghz user OC easily achievable, if you're lucky you can get a stable 4.8Ghz.
    Last edited by Oliver; 12Nov17 at 09:19.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:

Amy (12Nov17)

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    My AMD FX8320 was "OC'd" easily from 3.5GHz to 4.0GHz stable, but I guess you have an Intel machine like most.

Amytollah

510th vFS SC
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Yes I do. I don’t have my specs on me at the moment. I just want to know if it helps with frame rates. And it sounds like it will. Thank you Oliver for the in-depth explanation. That was most helpful. I’ll be doing that once I get back from the land of the samurai.
    Last edited by Amy; 12Nov17 at 14:19.
    Let The Purple Patches Reign