Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts

USB Button

I've mentioned these a couple of times in passing but thought I'd actually make a post about them as I've been using mine for a while now.

http://www.usbbutton.com/

I stumbled across this website, and the products in question, while looking around for a good option to use for a countermeasures "slap switch" for when the hornet comes along. The idea being I wanted to have a button next to my throttle that I could simply "hit" when I have an incoming SAM/AAM and activate the preset emergency CM program.

So using a simple keyboard combination wasn't going to cut it, and I didn't want to bind the command(s) to the HOTAS either given that's not where it is in reality.

I purchased one of the buttons a few months ago and have been using it (reasonably lightly due to my current situation) for a while now. The functionality is pretty simple, it's a button that connects via USB and can be programmed with the accompanying software to send a key combination or preset command (such as opening a website). Once programmed the settings are stored in the button itself so there's no need to run any software in order to use it.

I found it to be very effective, the only issue I've had is that DCS doesn't seem to like commands where modifiers are used (eg shift + key) although the button is sending them to the system as intended. I need to do a bit more fiddling there to see what needs to be done.

I got myself a second button last week and have that set up to use as an emergency jettison switch (another button you don't want to have to think about how to activate or fumble around with the mouse).

I've set them up as below, left had side is for CMS and right is for emerg jett. Both just fixed with sticky pads.

If anyone is looking for a similar solution at any point I'd recommend giving them a try.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Black (04Dec17), Connellie (04Dec17), Dojo (04Dec17), Panther (04Dec17), Ragtop (04Dec17), Snoopy (04Dec17)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I found it to be very effective, the only issue I've had is that DCS doesn't seem to like commands where modifiers are used (eg shift + key) although the button is sending them to the system as intended. I need to do a bit more fiddling there to see what needs to be done.
    Pretty Cool. Need this in my life. What type of adhesive did you use or does it come with its own? I'd want to make it cling to the wall, withstand a slap, not fall, or damage the wall/desk if removed.

Re: the Modifier; Does it show up as a device in DCS? I wonder if it's because it's a master key like "shift", and the fact there's no emulator software running (i.e. the shift isn't being sent from a "keyboard") so DCS is ignoring it. Could you test it with non master key set as a modifier temporarily? e.g. try setting the letter "m" as a temp modifier, and see if it plays any better.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    I just use “3M” removable adhesive pads from any old hardware store/amazon. The company that makes/sells the buttons also sell foam rubber backing pads for the buttons as an extra that I found make them much easier to attach to walls/desks.

The buttons don’t show as devices in DCS at all they’re just sending keyboard commands to windows as far as I can see. I’ll play around with key command settings this week a bit more and see where I get.