Thread: Thinking of a new computer....

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Cheers all for your replies, I thought I had it sorted until your post Hobie. I'm just wondering what to do (again)!! I think it's back to the drawing board for me!!!
    Last edited by Gunfighter; 30May12 at 05:29.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Well at least you got a good headset!

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Gunfighter
    you dont have to back to the drawing board,u already know what you want...right.just print it out and find a place just or ask around where is a good place too go.sure it might some time,you might have to make a few changes of your current build
    Hobie
    [SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/patr24/81ste/6aeb209c.png[/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I have to second the water cooling comment. Its marginally more effective and superbly more of a pain in the arse. You could do better and cheaper with two crossfire cards than one big one. Also unless you are sitting 5 feet from the monitor 27in is a little much. I want three 24" but don't have the desk space for it and found that I spend 99% of my time looking at the main screen so the setup was just eating FPS for no gian really. I never built a system until I bought the one I am currently using. I've taking it apart and upgraded components with little to no help from the interweb. Just make sure everything is compatible if you go the home built route.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Go meatwod, although master shake is where its at. I built a computer two years ago with similar interests. Heres what I've learned so far that may help you.

1) Dont install a water block onto a video card yourself. While this is an excellent option and works quite well it voids the warranty of the video card. I purchase video cards made by evga so they are top shelf but removing the heat sink/fan assembly voids the warranty. Go figure its the only time I've had a video card failure. Stick with stock cooling or beware the consequences.
    2) The rest of my system is liquid cooled. With this being said those cheapy ones you can get are not worth their price. You must buy a standard radiator (two fans AT LEAST, preferably 3) and it gets cramped inside fast. You also need a hardcore water pump. The best way to go about this route is to build it yourself. Its really simple and you can get all the parts at one website with good service which is well known. However the radiator and high flow pump is expensive but will last, be quiet and keep her damn cool. Its worth it if you have the money. But heed my advice, build it yourself. If you want help, myself and others around here would be happy to help you with everything you need.
    3) I once overclocked my machine to 4+ ghz. Now it ran fine, passed everything but prime95 for more than an hour or so. It got far too hot running that. Otherwise it was fairly stable. Since then I have brought her back down to 3.8 and that is where she stays. I find that the computer is still plenty fast and realizing anything over 3 ghz really doesnt show a noticeable difference. Its also a quad core and I can say running quite a bit of games and programming apps these years that hardly anything uses up the four core capability. So if your looking to go higher than that your really just wasting money at this point. Id save it and prepare for 5-10 years down the road when a serious upgrade is going to be needed. Otherwise as long as shes 3+ghz and can be OC'ed a hair I wouldnt fret, I promise you wont notice the difference, except in your wallet.
    4) I have a standard 1080p 30" viewsonic, and for DCS alone, I FUCKING LOVE IT.

That is all. Good luck.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Just thinking about all your replies and thinking would this be a better idea??? The spec is:

System Overview

Case: Corsair 600T Graphite Series Limited Edition White Mid Tower Case
    Motherboard Z77: Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5 Gen3 Intel Z77 Chipset
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz Quad Core + Hyperthreading 8MB Cache
    CPU Coolers: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro2 BK017 Performance CPU Cooler
    Overclocking - CPU: Extreme Overclock - 4.5Ghz - Tuned to absolute safe maximum - Performance prioritised over acoustics.
    Memory - DDR3: 8GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Arctic White - 1600Mhz
    NVIDIA Graphics - Multi GPU SLI Options Available: 2GB EVGA GTX 680 1006MHz GPU 1536 Cores 6000MHz GDDR5, 2 selected
    VGA Water-Cooling *Includes GPU Block Pump Res & Necessary Components*: 3XS Cyclone SLI Watercooling & Overclocking
    3XS Watercooling Temp Monitoring Pack: 3XS Watercooling Temp Monitoring Pack - Includes Aqua-Computer Aquaero 5 XT complete with watercooling temperature monitoring.
    Power Supply Unit: 850W Corsair Pro Gold AX850 Modular 80 PLUS Gold 90% Eff
    Solid State Drives: 240GB Corsair Force Series 3 Read 550MB s Write 520MB s
    Hard Drives: 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6GB s 7200rpm 64MB Cache
    Optical Drive 1 - DVD Blu Ray: LG BH10LS38 Blu-ray Writer - Retail with Software
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Audiophile Sound Card
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - OEM
    Software - Acronis True Image 2012 complete back-up software. : A hidden partition is created & a complete system image is produced. Giving you the option to reset it back to factory defaults should you need to. The software also lets you create scheduled backups.
    Software - Application: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 - OEM
    TFT Monitor: 27" Dell Ultrasharp U2711 Widescreen LCD 2560x1440
    Gaming Keyboard : Razer Anansi MMO Back-lit Gaming
    Speakers: Corsair Gaming Audio SP2500 2.1 PC Speaker System - 232W RMS
    Last edited by Gunfighter; 01Jun12 at 22:51.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    3000 GBP man. Jesus. I'd built it myself. Thats 4500 US. I built a comparable system for less than 2000 US. Add another video card it would have been 2500 though. But if thats the route your intending on taking...

I would like to know the specs on their water cooling system. Like I was talking about before, type of pump, type of resevoir, type of radiator, amount of flow, size of the lines (3/8" or 1/4" obviously in mm/cm). Anything less than ridiculous in the water cooling department could mean the difference between 20-30 Fahrenheit or 50-70 (90-120 catastrophic for intels). If its 50-70 you might as well go air cooling and the only way you can tell what its going to be is with what I'm talking about above, primarily the size of the lines and the specs of the water pump, size of the radiator; most important.

Perhaps you could email the company and get them?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...Cooling-System -Good resource

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    A HEXUS review of the 3XS posted in my last can be found here:

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/system...s-cyclone-sli/

Argentina
       Argentina

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    The man wants to spend... that's for sure.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ok Im a believer, pretty good review. Damn shame about the cpu, that seems more important to me, but otherwise pretty solid. Wish I had spending cash like that nowadays, im gonna have a hard time picking up combined ops. Of course when I do I'll finally be back flying with everyone. And soon you all will know the terror of the skies! The man capable of tactically bombing his wingman with a mk-82. Nothing but skill.