United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Thinking of a new computer....

I'm looking at getting a reasonably high end computer to play sims and other games on. The only problem is I haven't got a clue when it comes too computers. I've put togther a build, but not sure if it's too much money and too much computer. Or if there's places to save and others to improve. I'd appreciate any help. Cheers all. Gunfighter

The spec is:

BLUETOOTH: None
    CAS: Coolermaster HAF-X Full Tower Gaming Case W/ Side-panel Window 1x230mm Red LED Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port
    CASUPGRADE: Ultra Violet Reactive Kit (2xUV Lights, 2xSATA2 HDD Cables, 1 xUV Gelid 120mm High Performance Nanoflux Bearing Fan with rubber mounts, Blue Colour)
    CD: Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12X BLU-RAY Burner & 16X DVD±R/±RW Drive (please select the Blue Ray software in the Software section)
    CD2: NONE
    COOL: High-Performance Non Conductive Coolant powered by Thermochill (UV Blue Colour
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Extreme Edition Six Core 3.30 GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 ***Overclockable XXX***
    CS_FAN: Max. 3 x 120mm Silent Case Cooling Fans in selected case key areas for ultra silent operation (1,200 RPM AKASA Silent Fans with Sleeve Ball Bearing 17 dBA and LED light to match the Fans already in the case)
    DONGLES: NONE
    EXPAN: Internal USB 3.0 4 Port Hub
    FA_HDD: None
    FAN: Cyberpower Advanced WaterCooling Large Kit (Including 360m Radiator, 750res Pump/Reservoir, Rosa CPU Block, High CFM Fans, Tubing, and Coolant) ***Overclockable XXX*** (White Tubing - Large)
    FLASHMEDIA: None
    FREEBIE_CS: None
    FREEBIE_CU: FREE! Mass Effect 3 Game
    GLASS3D: NONE
    HDD: 128 GB Kingston V200 2.5 inch SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)
    HDD2: 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
    HOMEINSTALL: NONE
    IEEE_CARD: NONE
    INSURANCE: NONE
    KEYBOARD: Razer Blackwidow Expert Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    MEMORY: 16GB (8x2GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Quad Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX w/Heat Spreader)
    MONITOR: Dell 27" U2711 A09 WQHD, IPS LCD Monitor. 2560x1440, HDMI, 2xDVI-D, Display Port, 5 xUSB, 8in1 reader
    MONITOR2: NONE
    MONITOR3: NONE
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 Chipset, 3-Way SLI / Crossfire, 4 Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 8 RAM slots, ROG Connect, ROG UEFI Bios, BT GO, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 5 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 1 PCIe X1 ***Overclockable XXX***
    MOUSE: NONE
    NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs
    OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
    OVERCLOCK: XXX Overclocking (CPU Extreme overclock: guaranteed min. 20%, max. 30%.)
    POWERSUPPLY: 1000 Watts Power Supplies (CoolerMaster 1000watt Silent Pro Gold Modular Gaming Power Supply, SLI/Crossfire ready)
    RUSH: NONE
    SOFT1: Microsoft® Office® 2010 Home and Student (Word, Excel, Powerpoint + OneNote)
    SOUND: Creative SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional Series PCI-Express Sound Card
    SPEAKERS: Creative Labs Gigaworks T20 Series II 2.0 EPS Speakers System
    TEMP: NONE
    UPS: None
    USB1: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    VIDEO: Liquid Cooling NVIDIA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5 VRAM (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    VIDEO2: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics
    VIDEO3: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics
    WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 1 Year Parts, 1 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support
    WNC: NONE
    XWNA: NONE

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    The only change I would make is the 6 core processor...might be a bit of overkill. Might be better to go 1155 socket with a z77 chipset. That would allow a sandy bridge or ivy bridge processor of your choosing.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    gunfighter my advice is stay away from CYBER POWER PC,believe me they are not worth it...and go with AMD
    Hobie
    Last edited by Hobie; 26May12 at 07:09.
    [SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/patr24/81ste/6aeb209c.png[/SIGPIC]

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    What problems have you had Hobie? They have a good reputation over here and have plenty of good write up's in magazines and the Internet, plus were they assemble them is only 15 mins away from where I live (at the weekends).

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Gunfighter,
    this is the problems i had with a cyberpower computer,they had to replace the motherboard,memory,os.i order it on thanksgiving weekend last year,got it on december 9 it was back in the box and ship back by the 1st of the year,bad motherboard they had it for about a month,when it was in the "shop"they discover the memory was bad so they replace that.i got it back sometime in february,i had it for 12 hrs OS took a dump.so i boxed it up and send it back,they had for about a "month" got it back sometime in march.i have burn 3 days of vacations days for the return
    ,wasted a lot of time reinstalling everything and after spending $1555.00 of my cash, i still have on going issues with blue screens crashes,i refused to return it
    gunfighter looks like u have build yourself a good system(like i did),take that info and go to a good local store to have your system built,add all those parts up believe me it will be cheaper than cyberpower and less of a nightmare.
    i still kick myself in the butt for not going local
    there's is a guy i know that order one,i try to talk him out of it,he spend about 2500-3000 dollars on one,it was shipped with a bad power supply,i still havent heard from him,he might have thrown it in the lake or something
    its your call
    Hobie
    [SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/patr24/81ste/6aeb209c.png[/SIGPIC]

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Is it me or does this sound a bit odd ?
    Liquid Cooling NVIDIA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5 VRAM (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    But being bit biased here. if you want to throw money look into alienware.

Othe then that it looks nice. CPU looks like a real beast. But what is your overall cost btw?
    Last edited by WarthogSmurf; 26May12 at 09:25.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    I wouldn't bother with a hex core CPU for gaming, a quad is more than enough. Unless you're planning on doing video encoding or something like that you really won't make use of a CPU like that. I'd go for an i7-3820. Still an Ivybridge chip, but only 4 cores and a higher stock clock speed. It'll be better for DCS (higher clock speed) and also cheaper.

Water cooling, an expensive gimmick, leave it alone and just go for decent air cooling or at most a closed loop water cooler for the CPU (Corsair series are very good).

Soundcard, Creative are ok but have been overtaken in recent years by the ASUS Xonar series both in terms of audio quality and driver stability.

Other than that, 16Gb RAM is a bit excessive. 8Gb is plenty for gaming, but that said RAM is pretty cheap so unless reducing it would allow you to increase the specs somewhere else (an extra SSD for example) it won't do any harm keeping it.

I can't comment on the choice of retailer as I'll be honest, I think all built to order/off the shelf PCs are crap.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I would go find an enthusiast computer shop with that list and either have them build it for you or they'll scoff at it and tell you what you really need and save you some money in the process. I have always been disappointed with "custom" online shops...now that alienware is more or less a Dell they're included. Just do some research...watch some YouTube videos...and do it yourself. Strike up some conversation at an enthusiast shop... they're just like the people here they love to talk about their passion and would be happy to answer questions if you find the right shop. And when your done you know how everything works! And your minus all the bloatware places like alienware throw on your pc....its a clean slate! Tabula rasa!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Good luck...my 680 is inbound, hopefully it'll be here before I leave for reserves next weekend!

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Got mine yesterday! Now just need the rest of my parts so i have something to put it in! Which 680 did you get?