Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a Buttkicker (or other transducers)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
    Do you get vibrations for comms through SRS? How are those filtered out?
    No vibrations from comms with SRS, but how it's filtered depends on your particular setup. I'll provide further details if necessary, as everyone's got a different setup but the principle is the same whether:

A. You've got a dedicated sound card for speakers, and another for Headset (me)
    B. You've only got a headset that gets all sounds, including both game and comms.

In both scenarios, Voicemeeter becomes the primary soundcard for all PC audio (which of course includes DCS game audio). All PC audio sounds route to Voicemeeter, and Voicemeeter splits them, and sends this to both the real sound card, and the dedicated Buttkicker soundcard. However, in the Windows Playback devices setup, you still have the actual real sound card (or cards if you've got more than one sound device) listed. In SRS, you would specify the real sound card your HEADSET is connected to, not the virtual sound device (Voicemeeter). Therefore SRS audio is never sent to Voicemeeter to be split downstream and routed to the Buttkicker.

Essentially, any program (like SRS) that has its own ability to configure a sound device can be configured to bypass Voicemeeter (and therefore the Buttkicker).
    Last edited by Dojo; 14Feb18 at 20:23.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dojo For This Useful Post:

Gliptal (14Feb18)

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    Got it, thanks.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Wow, such a great post. Keeping this in my nice-to-have list.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This thing is amazing. So much More sensory input. Man I love it.

I need to Research the Voicemeeter a bit more, I'm not sure that I am dropping out all the bass I should be, as I get some input yet from bitchin betty, and she does not seem to have any low freqs at all...

Only other thing I'd love is if the gear had a big 'Thump" at the end of the turbulence event, I don't think it does though, wondering if I can alter it beyond the included EQ, I doubt it.

Thing freaks out my Dog, and I put a memory foam pad under my cockpit to lessen the impact on my understanding wife. All in all I'd give this thing a strong 9/10 rating for Impact to the experiance on a cost basis. Really strong peripheral. I am a bit afraid where this rabbit hole will lead....

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    So I got a Buttkicker Gamer (thanks Stuka), and it comes with a power amplifier: I guess that acts only as a filter of sorts, and I still need the additional USB sound card right?

Also, what does "USB only" only mean for "GFeelingEffect"?
    Last edited by Gliptal; 18Feb18 at 23:31.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gliptal- it is possible you need the sound card, but depends on your setup, for example, I use a pair of USB sennheisser headphones, i dont use speakers at all, therefore i was able to use my onboard sound card as the dedicated buttkicker card. Worked like a charm.

Now I have both a Usb sound card and a pci soundblaster, neither of which i need, lol

as far as i know the usb only and n. gfeelingeffect are options for the jetseat, or other usb chair pad type transducers, not relevant to us with buttkickers

what audio setup are you using?
    Last edited by Rooster; 19Feb18 at 01:58.

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    I have a single sound card, where my headphones are plugged in.

The USB sound card is coming in the mail, and I've already downloaded and installed Voicemeeter Bananas. I've set the virtual cable as primary audio output in Windows, and set my speaker as Bananas' output: when the card arrives, I guess I'll set Bananas' AUX cable to that and not route it to my speakers. I then set the audio plugin to the USB sound card, and keep SRS on my speakers directly. What is left to do is set Bananas' with the low frequency filter.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
    I have a single sound card, where my headphones are plugged in.

The USB sound card is coming in the mail, and I've already downloaded and installed Voicemeeter Bananas. I've set the virtual cable as primary audio output in Windows, and set my speaker as Bananas' output: when the card arrives, I guess I'll set Bananas' AUX cable to that and not route it to my speakers. I then set the audio plugin to the USB sound card, and keep SRS on my speakers directly. What is left to do is set Bananas' with the low frequency filter.
    As Rooster wrote, anything that refers to USB only within the Simshaker software refers to the JetSeat, or more generally any USB based transducer, which the Buttkicker is not.

Did you purchase the Sound Module with Simshaker for Aviators? You will need it or the Simshaker software is useless with a Buttkicker. If you have, your particular configuration should look like this:

1. In the Sound Module add-on, you will point it to the new USB sound card once it arrives.
    2. In Windows Playback devices, you will make Voicemeeter the default sound device (not aux, not virtual audio cable)
    3. In Windows Playback devices, you will make your primary soundcard that your headphones are plugged into the default communications device.
    4. In Voicemeeter Banana, you will make A1 your primary sound card.
    5. In Voicemeeter Banana, you will make A2 your new USB sound card
    6. On the A2 equalizer, you can filter out everything except low frequency sounds. This strictly isn't necessary but tightens the experience.

The Banana Aux, and the additional Virtual audio cable shouldn't be needed at all, unless you want to do more nuanced filtering through Voicemeeter. I use them to do some funky filtering of my Twitch audio.

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    After having issues with Discord, Teamspeak, Teamviewer, and SRS, I've been doing some digging and found out that VoiceMeeter (and by extension, Banana) when turned on gain exclusive access to whatever soundcard you pair to A1. This means you can't skip VoiceMeeter and send the output directly to your paired soundcard (for e.g. SRS). Interestingly enough, you seemingly can skip input.

I'll see if I can find a workaround.

EDIT: I think I fixed it. Basically, I pass A1 not only to my VoiceMeeter Main virtual input, but to my VoiceMeeter AUX virtual input as well: on SRS/Discord/whatever I then set the Output Device to "VoiceMeeter AUX Input". Since only my VoiceMeeter Main is passed to A2 (the Buttkicker sound card), I now have this setup:

OS/DCS -> VoiceMeeter Main -> A1/A2 (headphones/buttkicker)
    Discord/SRS -> VoiceMeeter AUX -> A1 (headphones)

Since the Buttkicker is not getting the VoiceMeeter AUX sounds, I should have a comms clear Buttkicker! I'm also passing through my mic to get some compression, altough I do have a bit of a delay in a SRS.

Last edited by Gliptal; 19Feb18 at 15:43.

Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts
    Now that everything is in, I'm sharing my initial setup and what I've learned. Keep in mind this is for VoiceMeter, the Buttkicker only setup is fairly straightforward.

One thing to note is that you cannot use a soundcard directly if that soundcard is associated to A1, A2, or A3 in VoiceMeter. What this means is that Dojo's proposed setup, and my setup above, don't work: Simshaker (or SRS) will throw an error if you try to send audio the the USB soundcard and that soundcard is associated in VoiceMeter as well. I thus had to change a few things, ending up with the following settings.

In the next few days I will be testing SimShaker's and the amplifier's settings/levels: as soon as I'm satisfied with them, I'll share those as well.

System

I have disabled most devices and renamed those I use for clarity. As you can see I am not bypassing my microphone (too much lag and not enough benefits); VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO (the first virutal cable) is the default playback device, forcing the OS to send sounds to VoiceMeter; any other program with the sound output set as "Default" also does so.

VoiceMeter

You'll note that I'm passing both system (OS/DCS) and comms (SRS/Discord) to A1 (my headphones) and A2 (the Buttkicker). This means that the latter also gets comms, something that I'm forced to do since I need the AUX virtual cable for the Buttkicker only. Some initial testing though shows that with an appropriate filter on A2 and some conservative settings on the amplifier comms do not trigger the Buttkicker (nor do OS sounds).

Comms

Now all comms use the "Defaults", routing everything to VoiceMeter in output and using my microphone directly as input.

SimShaker

Lastly SimShaker. The Sound Module sends its audio to VB-Audio VoiceMeeter AUX VAIO (the second virutal cable): if you look at VoiceMeter's settings above, this sound cable is entirely dedicated to the Buttkicker (only A2 is connected), meaning the bass effects are not heard on my headphones.
    Last edited by Gliptal; 25Feb18 at 22:35.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gliptal For This Useful Post:

Recon (25Feb18)