Thread: Threat warning

Denmark
       Denmark
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Threat warning

Sorry Gents but stumbled over something which I didn't understand and since there is a quite a few SME around you guys I though it may be something you can bring heads and tails on.

In this articelhttp://nordic.businessinsider.com/a-10-russia-jet-downed-syria-target-2018-2?r=US&IR=T

they have the following sentence;
    "Neither A-10s nor Su-25s are equipped with radars that can detect heat-seeking missiles from MANPADs, Bronk said. They're only equipped with radar warning receivers."

I may just be my missing noob knowledge but does such a system exist at all.

cheers

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    950 Posts
    Yes, there are Missile Approach Warning Systems (MAWS) that use a pulse doppler RADAR to detect the incoming missile, regardless of the type of guidance the missile is using.

The A-10C comes equipped with the AN/AAR-47 MAWS that uses ultraviolet cameras to detect the heat and plume of the rocket motor. One of the disadvantages of such system is that it can't detect the missile anymore when it has burned out. Potentially, newer missiles that are designed to reduce heat output and their fire/smoke plume may therefore not be picked up by the AN/AAR-47 at all.

So, the article is somewhat right. The A-10C doesn't have a RADAR based MAWS but it does have a MAWS. In addition it also has an AN/ALR-69 RWR (which is not the same as the MAWS) but that you already know.
    Last edited by Oliver; 07Feb18 at 18:44.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:

Dojo (07Feb18), Hansolo (07Feb18)

Denmark
       Denmark
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Thanks a lot Oliver. Much appreciated for your insight Sir