United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

8700K and Corsair H100i v2 - Temps at 90C at idle

New CPU and mobo are up and running however I'm getting 90C temps on the CPU at idle. I'm using the Corsair H100i v2 but I'm not sure why it is not cooling better. My last two builds were idling between 25C and 36C. I will be trying to troubleshoot this problem now. Any ideas?

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    That does not sound good.

Firstly on the hardware side are you completely sure that everything is connected properly (fan headers etc) and that the cooler is tightened enough to the CPU - I would double check these first. The only other hardware related problem I can think that you could have to warrant this bad performance Is if you have not applied enough thermal paste on the processor when installing.

Try having a look around the motherboards BIOS (fan settings) make sure it's not in some crazy eco mode and see if anything looks out of place, as this is obviously not normal. Sadly I think this could be pointing towards a faulty thermal sensor on either the processor producing an incorrect temperature output or could be a problem with the motherboard and how it is interpreting the data.

Just my 2cents anyway.

Let us know if you find the cause of the problem
    Last edited by TrimItOut; 19Feb18 at 23:11.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    Sounds like your getting little to zero contact between the cooler and CPU. I'd start with checking the connection, paste, etc and go from there. Even if the water is pumping and the fans aren't running, you shouldn't get up to 90C at idle with a good connection b/w the CPU and waterblock.
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    I had an issue with this same cooler. I thought the screws for the pump were tight on the CPU. When I checked the Pump, even though I thought they were tight the pump still moved a little. I took the screws back out and cleaned the black finish off of the threads and then it seated properly. A little bit of light oil on the screw threads may help too. I think overall I tried to install that pump three times before I got all the slop out of it and it mounted correctly.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    So my BIOS temps are in the 30s but Corsair Link is in the 80s and 90s? Any idea why the discrepancy?

Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    So my BIOS temps are in the 30s but Cor-sair Link is in the 80s and 90s? Any idea why the discrepancy?
    Are you sure both are reporting in the same unit of measure? As 80-90F is 26-32C. Just seems one is not the same with those numbers.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Yes, I just figured it out as Panther posted this. Apparently, it switched to F from C so I was looking for numbers in the 30s and it was showing me F instead. All is well now. Thank you!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Recon For This Useful Post:

Reaper (21Feb18)