76th vFS Pilot
    Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    296 Posts
    I play with density at 2.0 and yes, the resolution is still too low to make out mfd text unless you bend forward or use VR zoom.
    http://www.476vfightergroup.com/signaturepics/sigpic1750_22.gif

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    2.0? Is that with DCS or Oculus software? I have a 1080ti and can barely run DCS on VR graphic settings with pixels @ 1.1 in DCS. And forget about starting on a busy ramp. I wonder if this is Vive issue.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    I run 2.0 in DCS as well.

Amytollah

510th vFS SC
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    325 Posts
    So as Snoopy mentioned I fly exclusively in VR for everything. It has its limitations but the sim has come a long way. Objects are now visible from a good distance away. Again it’s a trade off but once you’re used to and understand it’s limitations you compensate accordingly and have a blast. Plus for me no more headaches from eye strain.

But welcome back I’m super excited for the Hornet and have been testing it as much as I can. I’ll get more time for it once my girlfriend moves into her house lol.
    Let The Purple Patches Reign

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:

Dojo (14Jun18)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Nice to meet you Amy. Yeah I'm pretty much convinced the Vive is not the best match for DCS. Ebay here I come. Amy, have you tried OVRdrop for a window over lay in the pit? I hoping to get it working as a nice kneepad. I've used it a bit in Elite Dangerous to have control of Pandora while zipping around the galaxy.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Hey, Stagefright. In the same boat here...havent flown much the past few years due to work/family, but the Hornet + Rift has me spending a few hours in the pit when i can. Loving VR with a 1080 but leaning heavily on the VR zoom mapped to my china hat on the throttle to see everything. I cant go back to Track IR/monitor either, though.

By the time I can get back to being active (retirement?) they’ll have 4th gen VR out and maybe the next major module

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joyride For This Useful Post:

Dojo (14Jun18), Snoopy (14Jun18)

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    I’m looking forward to my Pimax 8K arriving sometime this year, hopefully it’ll have the resolution to enable flying in VR almost exclusively. The rift just isn’t clear/smooth enough for me, it still gives my headaches if I use it for more than an hour or so.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Dojo (14Jun18)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Objects are now visible from a good distance away. Again it’s a trade off but once you’re used to and understand it’s limitations you compensate accordingly and have a blast. Plus for me no more headaches from eye strain.
    I've always admired Amy's willingness to work around the limits of 1st gen, it's really encouraging, but I think the A-10C's mission is *somewhat* permissive of that. The Hornet's A2A mission isn't, unfortunately. Spotting air threats with the imposter settings what they are in DCS is a non-starter. You can't have targets you have padlocked literally disappear for 1.5nm or so.

That said, the headache and related nausea issues can be directly addressed by frequency of use (the more you use it, your brain adapts, and the symptoms subside.) But if your system has really inconsistent frame rates, which is a lot of our machines and missions, it certainly makes it harder.

Bring on gen 2 and Vulkan.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Spotting actually isn't awful in the rift anymore. I'm using the default setting in 2.5 and can see air threats from a good distance now. The hard part is keeping your head on a swivel but I guess that's a limitation of real life too! At least we don't have to pull 9 G's...

Just out of interest Eddie, how many supercomputers are you gonna be using to power that thing?

Argentina
       Argentina

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Hi, sorry for the off topic but I never had the opportunity of test a VR, and I wonder, does it a problem if I use glasses?, can you use glasses under the VR or the VR focus can be adjusted?