Thread: Long time No Fly..

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I have had friend use VR with there glasses on with very few issues. VR focus can't be adjusted to help people who wear glasses.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StageFright For This Useful Post:

Tordillo (14Jun18)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Spotting actually isn't awful in the rift anymore. I'm using the default setting in 2.5 and can see air threats from a good distance now. The hard part is keeping your head on a swivel but I guess that's a limitation of real life too! At least we don't have to pull 9 G's...
    Distance isn't precisely the issue. When ED removed the imposter settings, probably a year-ish ago or more, they hard set them to the minimum setting. This creates visibility through enlargement at low resolutions (i.e. it helps the Rift and 1080 monitors). So in the Rift, for example, you can now spot a threat at 10nm-12nm. That's a bit of a stretch, but let's call that OK.

The real problem is, as the jets close, at a range of about 3nm, you will lose visibility altogether. Last I tried, there is no visibility between ~1.5nm-3nm. In other words the fighter you're engaged with literally disappears at 3nm, and reappears at 1.5nm. A fairly dangerous window to lose sight.

I imagine ED will sort this as some point, but it's just not workable at the moment. I admit I haven't checked in the last few updates, but hard to imagine they've addressed it without mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordillo View Post
    Hi, sorry for the off topic but I never had the opportunity of test a VR, and I wonder, does it a problem if I use glasses?, can you use glasses under the VR or the VR focus can be adjusted?
    Depending on the type of eye glass frame you have, it can be an issue. I have small rectangular frames and they fit fine. Also there are inserts you can purchase from companies, that you give them your prescription and they make them for you.

With the Primax, users shouldn't have any issue with glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
    Distance isn't precisely the issue. When ED removed the imposter settings, probably a year-ish ago or more, they hard set them to the minimum setting. This creates visibility through enlargement at low resolutions (i.e. it helps the Rift and 1080 monitors). So in the Rift, for example, you can now spot a threat at 10nm-12nm. That's a bit of a stretch, but let's call that OK.

The real problem is, as the jets close, at a range of about 3nm, you will lose visibility altogether. Last I tried, there is no visibility between ~1.5nm-3nm. In other words the fighter you're engaged with literally disappears at 3nm, and reappears at 1.5nm. A fairly dangerous window to lose sight.

I imagine ED will sort this as some point, but it's just not workable at the moment. I admit I haven't checked in the last few updates, but hard to imagine they've addressed it without mentioning it.
    It was still noticeable on the show floor this week, hence the reason we left labels on. A cheat for sure, but at that critical window, the MIG just disappeared, even though he was clearly visible at 15nm.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Panther For This Useful Post:

Tordillo (15Jun18)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    So i bought the Samsung Odyssey just to check it out and compare it with the Vive and I am pleasantly surprised. The FOV is better, the resolution is better, and performance its 20x's better. I don't like that the headphones that come with it can't be removed, but there not bad either. I am hoping that this might help bridge the gap for VR and be able to use full time while flying.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StageFright For This Useful Post:

Hiccup (23Jul18), Snoopy (23Jul18)