Hi Guys,

I had a question for the procedure in 476TTp3-3.A10C:
"When crosswind component exceed 5 knots, wingman on the upwind side of the runway."

What is the rationale for this? Understanding the big picture or the physics also helps me remember stuff like this, and possibly apply to other scenarios.

I tried searching for discussion and answers on this and found some info, but I don't think my specific question is answered in that thread.
https://www.476vfightergroup.com/sho...wind+formation

My intuition is that if the lead, being slightly ahead of the wingman, takes the downwind side of the runway, then the crosswind force vector will push equally on both the lead and wingman, since the affected surface area being acted on by the crosswind is equal, and thus pushing both in the direction of the crosswind equally and helping to avoid a collision. (Example A)

Whereas, if lead takes the upwind side of the runway, then the lead blocks the crosswind for the wingman, and the lead is pushed into the wingman's plane, while the wingman's plane is less affected by the crosswind force vector, and does not move as much as the lead (due to the lead blocking wind in the path to the wingman). (Example B)

I think the main point for lead taking the downwind side (wingman takes the upwind side) is to help avoid collision due to unequal crosswind force in the "B" example? Can someone confirm and correct my musings?

crosswind-formation-takeoff.jpg