Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formation Takeoff with Cross wind >5kts

This makes me think of another related topic... takeoff rotation speed... calculated based on weight and drag in the MDC.

Does this takeoff rotation speed factor in the "headwind-component" of the prevailing wind conditions?

headwind_component = cosine(wind_angle_off_runway_heading) x wind_speed

If the headwind_component is not factored in to the rotation speed calculation, then we should be subtracting the headwind_component from rotation speed to get the effective-rotation-speed for takeoff?

mdc_rotation_speed - headwind_component = effective_rotation_speed

So for example, if wind conditions are 25 knot wind at 10 deg off runway heading, then headwind_component is 24.6 knots of wind coming towards you on the runway.

Given that your rotation speed was calculated to be 130 knots, then
    130 - 24.6 = 105.4 knots (effective-rotation-speed)

105 knots (effective-rotation-speed)

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    950 Posts
    You don't have to do the math yourself, use one of these to guestimate the net crosswind:

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    And according to my SME's, 10kts is the max allowable crosswind component for formation departures. Anything higher and you go single ship (both AF and USN)

Condom

76th vFS Pilot
    Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    This makes me think of another related topic... takeoff rotation speed... calculated based on weight and drag in the MDC.

Does this takeoff rotation speed factor in the "headwind-component" of the prevailing wind conditions?

headwind_component = cosine(wind_angle_off_runway_heading) x wind_speed

If the headwind_component is not factored in to the rotation speed calculation, then we should be subtracting the headwind_component from rotation speed to get the effective-rotation-speed for takeoff?

mdc_rotation_speed - headwind_component = effective_rotation_speed

So for example, if wind conditions are 25 knot wind at 10 deg off runway heading, then headwind_component is 24.6 knots of wind coming towards you on the runway.

Given that your rotation speed was calculated to be 130 knots, then
    130 - 24.6 = 105.4 knots (effective-rotation-speed)

105 knots (effective-rotation-speed)
    You're taking off referencing indicated airspeed so the best thing that can happen is that you use less runway. Don't subtract anything from KIAS!
    http://www.476vfightergroup.com/signaturepics/sigpic1750_22.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    You're taking off referencing indicated airspeed so the best thing that can happen is that you use less runway. Don't subtract anything from KIAS!
    Great point, Black! Indicated Airspeed. Yup, nevermind on headwind rotation question.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    So, my few pennies worth:

Upwind/downwind side for formation takeoff's is (at least from when I was flying prop aircraft) for wake turbulence/prop(jet)wash avoidance. The lead's wash get blown away from the wingman. The same lineup is used for interval takeoff for the same reason.

Wind check - I have a habit of old of setting the heading bug on the HSI to the wind direction from the brief. in RL if something changed my understanding of the wind I'd change the bug at that point. Since in DCS you can't see local wind effects the bug never changes. Regardless of crosswind component I always put the lead downwind for all takeoffs even if it's not required since there no advantage to doing it differently.

I only actually check the component precisely if there a possibility it exceeds a limit or affects a performance number. If it's clearly within limits then it's the side that's important.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scaley For This Useful Post:

Emmy (29Jun18), Stryker (02Jul18)