Thread: How Does Being Assigned to Red Flag Work?

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How Does Being Assigned to Red Flag Work?

I've been really curious for a while, and I have several questions;

- Is RF mandatory for all pilots, or is it like Weapons School, where only the best are sent?

- Are the junior pilots generally sent first, say, straight out of their CMR training, or are the more experienced (captains or majors) sent first?

- How are squadrons selected to participate, and does an entire squadron go to RF simultaneously?

- Can a pilot or group of pilots participate in RF more than once?

I have others, but it's late, and I can't think of them right now. I'm also curious, since I've just finished the Basic, and am going through the Advanced and Tactical qualification campaigns, and I'm a huge sucker for realism, would it be more realistic for me to fly the RF campaign directly after becoming CMR, or should I do a combat deployment first?

Thanks!!

My quick answer is Red Flag serves as the simulation for the first 10 combat sorties. Historical statistics had showed pilots were not surviving combat within the first 10 sorties. Red Flag was created to give the pilots a safe but challengingly environment to get accustomed to a true combat environment.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks. I understand the purpose and history of RF quite well. I was wondering about the specifics at the pilot/squadron level.