Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You scratch my back ill scratch yours?

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You scratch my back ill scratch yours?

Hey everyone!

Im fairly new to the A-10C although ive been messing around with it on and off for a long while now. Ive dug around and found the documentation from this group, and the A-10A operating handbook to be pretty helpful. I have a real desire to learn how to fly this thing 'the real way'. I understand recruiting is closed at the moment.. would anyone be willing to fly with me and show me how its done? Ive got a good grasp of the basics.. I can start it up, shut it down, take off, land, fly and ILS and use the weapons (maybe not super effectively..)

Im a CFI/CFII/MEI in the real world and id be happy to share what I know if its of any help to anyone here. Ive got a really good understanding of civilian instrument procedures. I also served 5 years in the Army, and was a infantry team leader in Afghanistan and worked with FOs and got to see the A-10 in action, id be happy to share my perspective!

Thanks in advance!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StickySide For This Useful Post:

Emmy (30Jun18), Lynx (03Jul18)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Welcome, check out all the goodies we've got in the public downloads section and feel free to ask any A-10C questions here or on our discord channel.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thanks Snoopy! I have definitely dug into some of the stuff in the public downloads. Im already using the checklist and trying to learn as much as I can about the TTPs. Im understanding all the details, but im still having trouble with the ‘big picture’.. seeing the flow of an entire mission if that makes sense. Which is why id love to fly with someone!

One question I have about the checklist - its got normal and emergency procedures, but nothing for combat? Are the fence checks pretty much just a memory item? What other ‘kneeboard’ items should I have?

A question about bombing/strafing. Do all bombing or strafing runs begin with a base leg? Is there ever a time you would just set up straight in on final? What is the reason for this? Avoiding enemy fire? Better traffic ‘flow’ with other A-10s?

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StickySide View Post
    One question I have about the checklist - its got normal and emergency procedures, but nothing for combat? Are the fence checks pretty much just a memory item? What other ‘kneeboard’ items should I have?
    Hello! Welcome to the boards here.

The Fence checks are in the TTP 3-3.A-10C - in the public downloads section. Page 122.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scaley For This Useful Post:

StickySide (02Jul18)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hey Scaley, thanks!
    I did find the FENCE check, I appreciate that. Is that something you have on your kneeboard or should it be a memory item?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StickySide View Post
    Hey Scaley, thanks!
    I did find the FENCE check, I appreciate that. Is that something you have on your kneeboard or should it be a memory item?
    It’s part of our training to be memorized.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    It’s part of our training to be memorized.
    Got it! Any other memory items I should study up on? Trying to instill good habits now.. primacy is tough to fix later.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Personally in a single seat aircraft I have as much in memory as possible, and get the checklists out primarily in an emergency to double check I haven't forgotten anything. Having said that memorising things comes naturally with practice and repetition, so unless it's stuff you have to memorise I wouldn't make that a priority at the start.

What do you really need to memorise:
    1) The boldface bits at the start of the important emergency procedures (most of which are totally obvious)
    2) FENCE / ops check
    3) Tanker pre-contact checks (unless you can fly the pre-contacts and read a checklist at the same time...)

I'll add if I think of anything else, sure some other will chip in! My feeling is the main time-sink when people start flying in the group is actually learning the formation flying skills, not the checklists.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scaley For This Useful Post:

StickySide (02Jul18)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    In real life*, you will find that checklists are divided into two types:
    1) Those that are used step by step to accomplish a task.
    2) Those that help ensure all tasks have been completed.

An example of #1 would be a checklist that guides you through your pre-flight walkaround. You read it -> You Do It

Emergency checklists tend to fall into the second category. You practice your procedures and try to commit them to rote memory because you may not have the luxury of time to "stop and read." A given situation may call for W, X, Y and Z in rapid fashion. Say, the flow for engine failure in a C172. But at 7500 to 9500 feet and an ok glide ratio, once you've fired all your memorized bullets and have configured for an off-field landing, you, oddly enough, actually have some time to pull out the checklist and make double sure you did absolutely everything you were supposed to do.

And of course, with experience, even Type 1 checklists can become more like Type 2. I don't need to "Read -> Do" to pre-flight a Cessna 172 anymore, but I will totally "Do, Do, Do -> Stop And Double Check" using the pre-flight checklist in the POH. I don't really need a checklist to fire up my Warthog, but I do have some memory aids at hand for certain systems that either don't get used every flight (Secure Comms) or that may be used in alternative ways.

(* Speaking as a 150-hour wonder GA pilot)

To Scaley's point about flying in the group, I've found that knowing there are live bodies in the other cockpits tends to color everything. AI wingmen don't care if you're dragging your feet getting cranked up but, IMO, it makes you raise your game (or at least it makes you WANT to raise your game) to the level of those you're flying with.
    Last edited by Emmy; 02Jul18 at 15:06.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmy For This Useful Post:

StickySide (02Jul18)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaley View Post
    Personally in a single seat aircraft I have as much in memory as possible, and get the checklists out primarily in an emergency to double check I haven't forgotten anything. Having said that memorising things comes naturally with practice and repetition, so unless it's stuff you have to memorise I wouldn't make that a priority at the start.

What do you really need to memorise:
    1) The boldface bits at the start of the important emergency procedures (most of which are totally obvious)
    2) FENCE / ops check
    3) Tanker pre-contact checks (unless you can fly the pre-contacts and read a checklist at the same time...)

I'll add if I think of anything else, sure some other will chip in! My feeling is the main time-sink when people start flying in the group is actually learning the formation flying skills, not the checklists.
    This is gold, thanks for putting the time into this reply. I’m guessing there’s not really any good way to train formation flying with the in game AI? What Ops check are you referring to?