Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is the A10 being phased out?

Hi all,

I'm looking to apply to the 476 whenever recruiting opens again. I've been learning the A10C but also have the Hornet module. The Hornet is awesome, but I chose to learn the A10 in depth first since there are a lot more campaigns and missions out there for single player.

I've noticed that a lot of the other virtual wings are moving towards the Hornet now. I get it, since it seems like the next evolution for DCS. That being said, would it still be worthwhile learning the A10 for the 476, or are most people going to be focusing their energy into the Hornet in the coming months/years?

Thanks for your input!

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    950 Posts
    Well, I can't speak for what the majority of vpilots does or will do, but I know that the 476 vFG will not retire the A-10C anytime (soon). Neither do we have an annual discussion on phasing out the A-10, unlike the US DoD.

As for moving on to something newer, the DCS Hornet is in fact newer but it is far from complete. Currently it can, to a certain extent, fulfill the A/A role but it's going to take a long while before it's a fully capable multi-role aircraft. Apart from Hornet development, the A-10's specific roles will not and can not be filled by a Hornet, at least not in a way the A-10 can do them.

If you want to apply, you're more than welcome to do so when we open up recruitment and pick your initial aircraft of choice. Just take the above into consideration.
    Last edited by Oliver; 26Oct18 at 15:34.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave