Switzerland
       Switzerland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hello again

Hello 476vFG,

Back in 2012 I already submitted an application and was accepted as a trainee.
    Not really sure why, but after a couple of flights I stopped flying and didnt touch DCS for a couple of years.
    My focus shifted back toArma 2/3 and flew mainly as a rotary wing pilot in Milsim Units.

Anyway, since now over a year I fly DCS with some friends couple times a month.
    While this is mostly fun, its unorganised and chaotic. Thats why I'm looking arround for a group.

Working a full time job and attending additional college in the evening is a bit taxing on my available time, but one session a week shouldnt be a problem.

I know you arent taking new trainees at the moment, but I'm not in a hurry.

I have almost all modules and a computer that is more than sufficient for DCS. HOTAS, pedals, TIR/RIFT CV1 is available.

Would be mostly interested in the F/A-18C, but the A-10c is a nice airframe as well.

Would be cool if I would get another shot in the next recruitment cycle.

Have a great week.

Best regards
    Mag / Gruman

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Welcome Sir!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts
    Hi MAG. Welcome. Glad you're still interested in DCS and in our squadron.

However, the principal problem trainees have upon joining our squadron IMO is they really do not understand and appreciate the time and determination required to successfully complete our training. If you can only average one flight per week during training (which takes 4 -12 months to complete), it's probably not worth your or our time in trying to complete it. It would be much better for you to download our docs, look over them, and whenever you're in a position to dedicate at least 8 hours per week over several consecutive months to training, then apply for it.

Once training is completed, the minimum number of hours flown per month is pretty low, and easier to sustain. But, even then, if you help train others, and participate in weekly flight nights, one flight per week is less than most of our active pilots fly.

Until you have the personal time required to dedicate for training, please join us on our Discord channel and forum - we'd be glad to answer questions you may have, and get to know you.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hiccup For This Useful Post:

Amy (04Mar19), MAG (05Mar19), Snoopy (04Mar19)

Switzerland
       Switzerland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hi Hiccup,

Thanks for the tipps in in regards to time requirements.
    When you open up the applications again, I will take them into consideration.

Just to specify my "available time": Until January 2020, I spend 3 evenings in Class. Depending on the work schedule of my GF I'm available two whole evenings + Weekends. Multiple sorties a week are possible. The comment about "one session a week" was in regards to the weekly european flight night and the two "Large scale combined group events" per month.

In the meantime I get comfortable with Air-Refueling, consume the documents and listen to the podcast (I know it's rather old, but still gives a good impression about the group).

One question about the F/A-18c. Will they deploy from land or from a carrier when an ocean is available?

Thanks

Will be arround.

Best regards
    MAG

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MAG For This Useful Post:

Hiccup (05Mar19)

Right now our Hornet is only land based, we have not set up any carrier quals. I suspect that will come much later down the road.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Panther For This Useful Post:

MAG (05Mar19)

Amytollah

510th vFS SC
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    Panther is correct. A lot of the raining is very much WIP and we will continually refine and add thing. Right now our focus is on IQT/MQT Tracks. This summer I am hoping to get the CQ Training documents written.
    Let The Purple Patches Reign

Switzerland
       Switzerland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sounds good. Maybe the new carrier with LSO will be ready when you guys start the CQ
    Thanks for the answers.

Have a great week.
    Intel 6600K @ 4.5GHz, AIO-Cooler, ASUS HERO VIII, MSI GTX 1080 TI, 32GB DDR4
    21:9 Ultrawidescreen, 3440x1440, RIFT CV1 , TIR, Thrustmaster Warthog, VPC T-50 Base, MFG Crosswind

Switzerland
       Switzerland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A small question, if I may.
    I've been switching between TrackIR with my ultrawide monitor and the Rift CV1.
    While I love the immersion and the much better tracking of the Rift, the resolution and the difficulties with using a pen&paper / keyboard / mouse makes me switch back to the 2d world all the time.

From what I read on the forums, there are some VR users within 476. How is this handled?
    Are labels allowed? Are VR users flying exclusivly in VR?

I'm currently planning for my Simpit. Going VR would make things a lot easier, since it doesnt have to look as good.

Thanks
    Intel 6600K @ 4.5GHz, AIO-Cooler, ASUS HERO VIII, MSI GTX 1080 TI, 32GB DDR4
    21:9 Ultrawidescreen, 3440x1440, RIFT CV1 , TIR, Thrustmaster Warthog, VPC T-50 Base, MFG Crosswind

Flying the hornet I’m 100% VR, but when flying the Hawg I’m mixed. Will be on monitor and TIR if I’m flying the hawg and it’s a CAS mission. Need that pen and paper easily available. Although there are some apps that have been created to overcome that. I’m slowly transitioning to all VR every flight.

No labels, not sure they are allowed on server, never tried. I feel I can see air to air objects better in VR. Ground objects are hard regardless of monitor or VR.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Panther For This Useful Post:

MAG (07Mar19)

Amytollah

510th vFS SC
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts
    I’m 100% VR. I just work around the limitations of it. I’m gunna have to start using the zoom function though.
    Let The Purple Patches Reign

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:

MAG (07Mar19)