United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Notso - Introduction

Hi All,

(Stand up and tell us about yourself...... ) My Background in case anyone cares..... I'm a retired USAF F-15E Strike Eagle WSO with about 2700 hours IRL. I Also have about another 2300 hours as an MQ-1 / MQ-9 Pred/Reaper pilot. I'm currently doing the latter as a contractor (training, not combat) over in the ME but relocating back to the US soon for good. My real callsign from TAC Aviation was/is "Notso".

I'm also a Commercial/CFII pilot IRL and fly civilian stuff for fun whenever I can.

I'm very new to DCS (4 months on and off) and just really trying to learn both the A-10C and the Hornet Modules. I'm leaning towards concentrating on the A-10C once I finally dip my toes into some of the online multi-player worlds. I was drawn to the 476th based on some of your excellent pubs that you have up online for study. I'm devouring your sanitized version of the A-10C 3-3 at the moment to try to learn some of the Hog specific TTPs and basic procedures - specifically on the range with weapons employment, AAR and Formation flight.

Eventually, I would like to join one of the virtual Squadrons. I know recruitment is closed now in the 476th, but that's actually fine with me. I have a LOT to learn about the different weapons systems and how to employ them. I'm still constantly amazed at how realistic DCS is in terms of aircraft performance characteristics and weapons employment. The general flight stuff is all pretty much the same as IRL. So I'm planning on spending as much time as I can just doing single missions to learn the systems and basic procedures. I will likely do 90% in the HOG as it seems a much more mature system in DCS than the Hornet, which still has a lot of WIP it seems.

Any help, tips, guidance, spears, etc is welcome. The whole thing is pretty daunting to actually achieve a decent level of proficiency. I feel like I'm back in the FTU and I should lock myself in the study vault for a month. So, any recommendations from the vets here on how best to structure my time to progress and learn the combat employment of the platforms? I get in and "fly" as much as I can (I'm using VR BTW). And the truism is nothing replaces time in the seat. But I want to make sure I structure the training and learning to be as efficient as possible. So any recommendations are certainly much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Notso

Sweden
       Sweden

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Hi and welcome Notso!

Glad you´ve found an interest in the A-10C, it will bring you much joy to fly, I guarantee you that. Focusing on one aircraft is the best you can do now to really get to know it - both in terms of flying characteristics and sensor management. The first step into the 476th includes a check ride to prove you are sufficient in aircraft handling, T/O and landing procedures IAW 476th SOP. Secondly, also weapon employment of all munitions available to the platform, as well as AAR. All of the above at night also.

You are limited to one combat coded squadron (either A-10C or F/A-18C) until you have completed your MQT course. Then it´s up to yourself if you want to branch out to another combat squadron or not, depending on your own commitment, as long as you meet minimum participation requirements for both squadrons.

I can only speak for my own training philosophy, but I tend to favor taking baby steps and incorporating this small steps into larger building blocks at the end. So basically learn to walk before you try to run...one sensor/weapon/procedure at a time. Finally, have fun while you learn and always try make every flight a challenge for yourself to ensure you are progressing and evolving for every flight hour.

When/if you feel confident about doing all of this - which I believe you would after following our public material available you are more than welcome to send in an application to your desired squadron as soon as the training slots open. You can find recruiting calls here on the forums and on our official Twitter channel.

Cheers,
    Griffin
    Last edited by Griffin; 24Sep19 at 16:03.

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Hi Notso, glad you found us. Enjoy having a look round at our site & publications. If you have any questions as you get to grips with DCS, don't hesitate to post them here.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Welcome!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Welcome to our forum Notso!

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thanks for the great welcome, guys and gals! I'm looking forward to it. Now if DCS only had a Strike Eagle Platform to fly, I'd be golden. Haha. Now I have to learn an entirely new HOTAS setup.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of question as I go. Is it cool to ask here before If/when i'm admitted to any of the training sessions? I'm not sure what the etiquette is for the non-official GP/SQ members on the forum.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to flying with you all eventually.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Notso For This Useful Post:

Snoopy (24Sep19)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Feel free to ask here or on our Discord channel.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Welcome Sir!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Welcome aboard, if you do get the hornet or the soon to be released Viper we can burn holes in the virtual sky. Most my flights are usually 0100z...

Condom

76th vFS Pilot
    Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    http://www.476vfightergroup.com/signaturepics/sigpic1750_22.gif