Thread: VR users in DCS and in the 476th

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

VR users in DCS and in the 476th

Caveat up front.... this is not intended to be a "VR is better than non-VR" thread. Its not at all.

I'm curious about a couple of things related to VR. I'm very new to DCS and I started with VR from the get go. HTC Vive Pro. I can't imagine flying on a 2D setup, even with trackIR due to the seamless immersion I get with VR. However, it seems most of the demo videos that are posted by the "pros" all seem to be mostly running in 2D. Is that a function of the lower resolution of VR compared to a 4K+ 2D monitor?

So I'm curious of what is the % of DCS and more specifically the 476th users are running with VR vs non-VR users? Are there any compatibility issues with a VR and a non-VR user flying in the same mission together, especially in a 2-ship or 4 ship formation? Or do you guys attempt to keep like with like systems together?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I use TrackIR for two reasons:
    1) I'm 58 and my eyes prefer the better resolution of a flat screen.
    2) My PC would probably be marginal at best if I tried to drive VR.

2a) I really like being able to see my second screen as that's where I have my flight plan, my SRS display and other stuff I want access to while flying.

I've not encountered any issues flying wing on, or leading someone else using VR while I'm on TrackIR

Condom

76th vFS Pilot
    Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I have a Rift S and i love to fly with it when i’m by myself fooling around in single player and with the upcoming Viper release i plan to fly exclusively with it. However, A10 VR head position is bad even if you fix it with snapviews, writing things down on a piece of paper when you have to, is extremely challenging and potentially dangerous, the lack of progressive zoom is very limiting and ground target spotting is not that good compared to 2D, creating and consulting custom in game kneeboard is tedious compared to an iPad. This is of course a very personal and Hog related opinion.
    http://www.476vfightergroup.com/signaturepics/sigpic1750_22.gif

Dildo

510th vFS Pilot
    Spain
       Spain

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    I have a love-hate relationship with VR as, on one side, it is way more natural to look around and the immersion is greater but, on the other side, the lower graphics quality ruins it as well. Also add to that that it gets a little bit unconfortable to wear those hot headsets for long periods of time on your head and that I like to look around from time to time instead of having my eyes fixated in the monitor/lenses all the time.

I have been alternating between monitor and vr in the past. Now recently I got the Reverb and I may start leaning a little more towards vr but I think I will keep alternating depending on how long the mission is expected to be and so on.

I think that VR technology has to mature a little bit more for me to go 100% VR.

Most of the guys who get VR stay with VR though.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    For me VR is hugely more immersive when doing general flying, but that lack of resolution is still quite a hurdle for complex missions. Having my MFDs on a second display with the TM MFDs to control them, and also the Stream Decks to for the UFC etc allows much faster and more accurate manipulation of controls and system configuration. In addition, as Black mentioned, being able to use a tablet as a knee board and/or writing notes on a pad is also a must a lot of the time.

Lastly, if flying a long MP mission, playing on the monitor is less fatiguing, and simply being able to grab a sip of a drink or a handful of your favourite snacks is a big plus to the monitor.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Black (25Sep19), Snoopy (25Sep19)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    I mirror what Eddie said, but I sad am looking forward to VR in the Viper. Probably won’t fly it in VR for combat missions though.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thanks guys. Great feedback. I too am struggling with more complex mission sets while using VR, mainly for the lack of ability to write anything down and/or have a kneeboard with all your mission notes, lineup card, target decks, etc. And the cockpit resolution is really bugging me at the moment. I wasn't sure if it was just my old eyes, but I still pass an annual flight medical each year and other than needing reading glasses for really fine print, I see 20/20-ish at distance.

I'm at a bit of a dilemma point with VR right now. I used to be an avid flight sim'er back when I was much younger. I have a lot of time on MS flight sim and Falcon 3.0 back in the day. But I gave it all up because I was getting bored/frustrated with the flat screen 2D displays and the clunkiness of trying to look around or do anything in the cockpit. So I gave it up and swore I would never get back into it until VR was mature enough. I actually bought DCS A-10C at a retail store way back in 2011 or 2012. I probably played it for maybe all of 30 min and gave up for the same reasons I did previously.

So fast forward to this recent spring. I got a wild hair and bought the Vive Pro and a top end gaming laptop to try to see if VR was there yet. Flying VR is actually both better than I thought it could be but in some ways not as good as I hoped for. As others have said here, flying around, general flying, single missions, etc are AWESOME! I'm even working on knocking the rust off my Form flying skills and I really like VR for that as well. But some of the limitations are certainly significant. But I get the impression that there are lots of things coming out to address most of that. Better goggles, VR scratch pads, kneeboards, etc should all definitely help the overall mission management and SA.

I guess I'm either going to need to bite the bullet soon and trade up for a set of newer high end VR HMD or start saving my pennies to build a 360 deg domed simulator in my garage (haha, I wish).
    Last edited by Notso; 25Sep19 at 14:47.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    I have a Rift S and i love to fly with it when i’m by myself fooling around in single player and with the upcoming Viper release i plan to fly exclusively with it. However, A10 VR head position is bad even if you fix it with snapviews, writing things down on a piece of paper when you have to, is extremely challenging and potentially dangerous, the lack of progressive zoom is very limiting and ground target spotting is not that good compared to 2D, creating and consulting custom in game kneeboard is tedious compared to an iPad. This is of course a very personal and Hog related opinion.
    Hi Black, I'm curious what about the Viper is going to be better with VR? Is it because its being coded specifically for VR or something else?

Also, what do you mean about the head position in A-10 is bad in VR? Are you referring to how hard it is to see all of the HUD symbology? If so, I wondered if it was just me. Thanks.

Taiwan
       Taiwan

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Happy VR user here. Pimax5K, would not go back to 2D or narrow FOV VR. Obviously VR is not as sharp as a 2D screen and FPS take a significant hit but the immersion is the main attraction for me.

As for the Viper in VR, I will guess the frameless bubble canopy is the big plus?

Quote Originally Posted by Notso View Post
    Also, what do you mean about the head position in A-10 is bad in VR? Are you referring to how hard it is to see all of the HUD symbology? If so, I wondered if it was just me. Thanks.
    The default head position for the Hawg in VR is completely off. You are sitting too close, if you just look down you will see that your chin is over the stick. No where near where the natural spot is when sitting in the real hawg. The HUD being off is just a minor annoyance for me.

For me in VR, I fly 100% in VR when in the Hornet, and suspect the same will take place in the Viper. I have learned to adapt when needing to look at stuff, using the virtual kneeboard, or glancing at stuff outside of VR. I tried to switch to VR when in the Hawg, but for the reason mentioned above, I couldn't fly it.
    Last edited by Panther; 25Sep19 at 15:29.