Thread: NTTR Mission and Air Object Install

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NTTR Mission and Air Object Install

I have downloaded both the mission and the air objects and placed them in the mod/tech folder but on loading the mission it says I need the mod to load. Any help?

Sweden
       Sweden

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    This is me just shooting from the hip, but two questions come to my mind.

1. Are you running a later version of DCS?
    2. Did you put it in ...User/Saved Games/DCS/Mods/Tech...as an unzipped complete file?

It should work of you are using a contemporary DCS version and put it correctly in the folder.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi -

First off, thanks for putting this together, it's great work from what I've seen.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get air weapons range objects placed in the mission editor. I can only see 4 objects in best case, and from poking through the .lua and discussions, it seems that the mod has a lot more objects than that. I'm not sure if it's stupidity on my part (I am fairly new to DCS) or something else.

I am running the latest stable DCS (2.5.6.59625, the version that dropped in the last day or so). I am not running the open beta, which might be an issue?

Here's some details on my setup and what I'm seeing (apologies in advance for the length, trying to include everything I can think of to help any troubleshooters).

From the .zip file, I put the "476 vFG Range Target Templates.miz" file into

C:\Users\<me>\Saved Games\DCS\Missions\476 vFG Range Target Templates.miz

I put the Mods directory from the 476 vFG - "Air Weapons Range Objects, 14NOV19" directory in the .zip file into

C:\Users\<me>\Saved Games\DCS\

So, on C:\, looking at the directory hierarchy, I have:

C:\Users\<me>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods
    C:\Users\<me>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech
    C:\Users\<me>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\476RangeTargets
    C:\Users\<me>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\476RangeTargets\entry.lua
    (along with all the other stuff: Shapes, Textures, etc.)

All of the copies are done without DCS running. When I re-launch DCS, I can see the yellow bullseye icon for "Range Targets" (14 NOV 2019) in the row of mod icons along the bottom of DCS launch screen.

I cannot seem to place any of the objects from the mod (or even see them in the type list) in the mission editor though. Here's what I'm doing,

1. Create a new mission on the Caucasus map with the default coalitions
    2. Create a new ground units group (click the tank icon)
    3. Select "USA" from the country menu
    4. Select "FORTIFICATION" from the category menu (based on the .lua files, looks like this is where the objects should live?)
    5. The only object listed in the type menu is "TACAN Beacon".

Here's a screen shot of the vehicle group panel from the mission editor at step (5):

New.JPG

If I open the "templates" mission from the .zip file, it loads without issue and I can see the four ranges (Goldwater, KOTA, 2/3 tower). If I click on one of the objects on one of the ranges, it appears in the FORTIFICATION category for USA and I do see a few more things in the type menu, but they are prefixed with "*" and it only looks like the list includes the objects that are used in the ranges:

Range.JPG

I can create a template (using the create template icon in the editor) for one of the ranges using the templates mission and insert that template into a new mission. In this case, when selecting an object in the range, the behavior is the same as above: the 4 range objects show up with "*" in front of their names, but nothing else is available (other than the TACAN) in the type menu.

I'm guessing the "*" means something, though I haven't been able to find any mention of it.

Thanks in advance for any help. After being away from flight simulators for a *long* time and not having flown a Viper since the days of Falcon 4.0, it's pretty cool to find DCS and its community.

Regards,
    tw

Sweden
       Sweden

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    I´m not at my SIM-PC so can´t confirm the file path, but they look fine to me, out of the top of my head.

The prefix is supposed to be so, probably just an indication to find the mod assets quickly.

I do notice that you have the "equipment year availability" setting enabled - try deselecting that and it could perhaps make all the items available? That´s something that I´ve pulled my hair out for earlier. Lastly, you can also find the mod under Static/Infrastructure.

Hope this input helps, otherwise I´m sure someone else can give you a more accurate answer. Cheers!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

twillis (28Dec20)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Griffin, really appreciate the help. Looks like it was the equipment year availability setting that was messing me up. With that off, there's now a bunch of new objects in fortifications.

Regards,
    tw