Thread: A10C HUD scale fix for Non-VR users

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

A10C HUD scale fix for Non-VR users

Posted this in the discussion on the ED forum, but thought I'd pass it along here too as it's going to be pretty buried I think.
    This is what worked for me:
    I reset my default head position to the old one. (rt CTL + rt SHIFT using numpad / and * to get the position I liked, rt CTRL + numpad 0 to save as default)
    Then I modified the .../Mods/aircraft/A-10C/Cockpit/Scripts/HUD/device/HUD_param.lua file to change the value (Line 6) TFOV = 170 to 150. I did this from a copy/paste into my mods folder for OvGME so it doesn't have to be done manually after every update, but do what floats your boat.
    My HUD is back to old cockpit visibility and is working just fine. With my old eyes, I also much prefer the old head position for reading the MFD's. As always, you may need to adjust a little differently due to your setup and personal preferences, and YMMV as to effectiveness, you may have to play with TFOV a bit. But it worked very well for me. Tested both with and without TrackIR with no issues.
    The rumors of my demise are premature. Ok, I've died twice but I keep coming back, I'm worse than a stray cat!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blackwolf For This Useful Post:

Connellie (18Jan20), Emmy (18Jan20), Stryker (19Jan20)

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts
    I just made 2 screenshots in my default position, one with the default value of TFOV = 170, one with 150. Not a single difference between it...

TFOV = 170

TFOV = 150

Last edited by Oliver; 19Jan20 at 11:34.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I am finding that odd. In my case, just adjusting the default head location brought the HUD data in line, but it was still off the edges of the glass. I did the tweak to TFOV, and I can now see all the HUD data just the same as before the updated cockpit. In my case, it did make a big difference.
    Perhaps in some cases like mine it works, in others there may be other parameters in that .lua file that need tweaking? I didn't do anything further after it worked. Each adjustments were done separately, in that order, too, I didn't just go do both at once, it was a multi-step process as I worked on it.
    Possibly also affected by screen resolution? (I am on a 1920 x 1080 LCD TV on a 1050ti VC so don't have some of the more advanced settings running) Hard for me to say, I am certainly not an expert on DCS file systems, but this worked for me so I passed it along. I have heard from a few others that it worked for them, so this may be a system specific thing? I do know that in both pictures, your HUD display is much better than mine was before I did this. In my case, the TVV and waypoint data, etc. was off screen unless I did some real maneuvering with TrackIR to find it. I had to practically lean forward over my desk and turn my head to see it.
    The rumors of my demise are premature. Ok, I've died twice but I keep coming back, I'm worse than a stray cat!

ALAM

492d vFS Pilot
    United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Do you have some before and after screenshots, so we can see how it looks?

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Sorry for delay, R/L got busy, and I wanted to set aside time to really go through it again before responding. Wife's final surgery is in a few weeks, once she recovers, life will finally settle down again I hope. :P
    I went back and yes, the second time around it seems to have made no difference. The current screen is better than before I made that .lua change, but now will not change back when reverting the change, so still a little bit of a mystery. I had been playing with a lot of settings by then, could be anything. I'm putting it down to just another quirk of my old system, or a software glitch from making so many changes back and forth. When I can get ahead on bills, def. going to build a new system. This one isn't quite duct-tape and bailing wire, but it's pretty outdated by today's standards.
    Changing head position to the old one has it flyable at least, but not as good as it used to be, HUD-wise. I took the time to go through a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of HUD settings before posting here again, ED has stuff scattered over multiple files. From what I can tell by my limited skill set, I keep seeing callbacks to core, which is unreachable without dev access, so I am at a standstill, looks like it's going to take a patch from ED.

I apologize for any confusion, will double-triple check anything before reporting in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    I apologize for any confusion, will double-triple check anything before reporting in the future.
    Life of spaghetti code that ED has given us. Sometimes placebo is a real deal. Don't stress.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Ed's code makes a Borg cube look streamlined...... Thanks for understanding, I was feeling bad about it.