Thread: Coordinates for bomb target wrong or user input error?

France
       France
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Coordinates for bomb target wrong or user input error?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I am doing something wrong or if I have come across an error in DCS.

I'm flying the F-16, wanting to drop bombs in CCRP mode on the 63B range (the conventional circles).
    I selected the exact location of those targets in the mission editor (by zooming in to the max and selecting the target as the steerpoint) and crosschecked the coordinates whilst on the ground. The coordinates are a tiny amount out (a few seconds at the most) from the coordinates listed on this website. I set the steerpoint altitude at whatever the target elevation is.

Now, when I fly over the target the steerpoint designator box isn't exactly over the target, it's outside of the circle and the elevation seems to be off by around 80 ft. I tried setting the steerpoint coordinates to the exact ones listed on this website but that moves the steerpoint marker even further away.

All this results in missing the target when bombing in CCRP. Just curious how to fix this?

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    950 Posts
    The terrain elevation of R-63B is approx. 3k ft, give or take. So far the CCRP solution in the Viper is not corrected by a terrain elevation database nor does the pilot have the option to manually input terrain elevation.

You will most likely see that the steeper your dive angle, the closer you will be to target as the incorrect CCRP elevation will become less of a factor in steeper dives. Try a 60 High-Altitude Dive Bomb for instance.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

France
       France
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I had another attempt at a CCRP straight and level delivery but again the target/steerpoint designator box is misplaced. I noticed that in my previous attempts I entered the wrong coordinates (I used seconds for the last 3 digits instead of decimal minutes). This time I used the correct coordinates and although the steerpoint box is closer to the bombing circle, it's still looks like it's off by 100 or 200 ft or so.

Needless to say when I do a straight and level delivery of Mk 82s or BDU33s they drop outside of the circle. If we had a ground mapping radar I could have selected that as SOI and slewed the designator box right on the target and the drop would have been much more accurate but alas, we don't have that feature in DCS.

I know that a straight and level or diving CCRP delivery is probably not used at all anymore in real life apart from training sorties but it would be nice to be able to practice this delivery with some accuracy. So the way I see it, currently if you want a visual delivery it has to be CCIP.

I assume the 476th does not do CCRP drops of dumb bombs?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Generally we CCIP Dumb Bombs, but there have been several reports on the ED Forums where CCRP is not working as it should.

Your being off by 100' or so is what others have been reporting. The Viper just is not "cooked" enough to trust the CCRP system in general and in particular for dumb bombs.

France
       France
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Also, I have had the steerpoint coordinates change by themselves whilst practicing in the bombing range. Not sure if this is due to some key binding issue or a bug that started with the latest patch.

France
       France
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thank you Emmy. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, makes me feel less crazy/OCD! :-)

I will try the same profiles on Falcon BMS and see how that goes. I don't remember having this problem in BMS.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Can’t speak to the absolute latest update as we have not adopted it due to the number of things in the Viper (and other modules) it adversely affected.

There is a bug that is closely similar to what you described. The CCRP cues in the HUD are incorrect and fluctuate based on difference of altimeter values.