Thread: New to DCS

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New to DCS

A10CII I have not flown in many years, I am just getting to the point of getting flying down and trying to learn the systems with youtube and in-game tutorials. I need a mentor or instructor to get a grasp of what I am doing in the cockpit. I have the chucks guide printed off and in a binder. I use the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X and I have the trackir 5. My PC has ASUS ROG Strix Intel Core i5-11400F, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. I hope to find a good pilot with the same hotas so we use the same commands. I live on the east coast and am not up late. Early evenings and weekends are my best times.
    Last edited by Hummpy; 06Feb23 at 16:51.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts
    Hi Hummpy and welcome to our forum. Hope you will enjoy learning the A-10 in DCS - it's a rewarding challenge.

We require all new recruits to meet the prerequisites listed on our Recruiting page of the forum prior before actually applying for our training. Our policy is not to fly with non-members on our servers, except for recruitment check rides. We are challenged enough as a group to help qualified recruits progress successfully through our IQT and MQT training, and just do not have the bandwidth to fly with those pilots still working to develop the expertise to meet our recruitment requirements.

Our prerequisites can be met by studying the manual, YouTube videos and practicing in single player. Although it is good (very good) to fly with others as you develop your expertise in the fundamentals, our group is not suited to help with that. However, if we can help you with questions you may have as you progress, we'll try to do that - both here and in our Discord server.

As far as your controller, I'm not familiar with the T-Flight Hotas X. Almost all of us in our A-10 squadron use the Thrustmaster Warthog joystick & throttle. That's not to say at all that your controller cannot be mapped to successfully operate the A-10 - I just don't think anyone in our squad has any mapping experience with it.

I hope this doesn't come across as being negative, as I don't mean for that to be the case. Rather, I hope you dive into learning the A-10 and then apply for training and membership in the group.
    Last edited by Hiccup; 06Feb23 at 17:41.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I completely understand. I am training and reading and watching and training and reading and watching...... I will check back when I get more experience.

Jeffrey

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts
    Great - good luck and enjoy learning the A-10, Jeffrey!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Hey Hummpy, welcome! If you have not heard of it before, I believe the TacticalDCS Discord is a great entry for beginners. They have a community of thousands of people with very knowledgable IPs for all airframes. They can get you up to speed on all things A-10 to jumpstart your DCS journey.

Here's a link to their discord: https://discord.gg/tacticaldcs