United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Thrust Vectoring

Is thrust Vectoring any good? Or is it just a gimmick? I'm not sure, if your using manouvers like that things are getting very close (other aircraft) surely you'd be on guns and how would the Vectoring affect that?? Any ideas

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Away from the airs hows it does have value. All it does is allow you to point the nose more quickly/effectively at lower airspeeds, and in order to use the gun or any weapon system for that matter, you need to be able to point you nose toward the enemy. Even with high angle of bore sight weapons you still need to be able to point the jet towards the target to some degree, and the closer you are to bore sight the higher your weapon's Pk/range will be.

All the crazy manoeuvres you see at air shows, and in vids like the one you linked to are great for impressing the crowds, but they're not what you see pilots doing in combat.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Cheers for that Eddie, so it's not just a 'air show' tool after all. I surpose the the limiting factor is the the airframe 'G load' and the stick/seat interface?? I can see the manoverability at slow speed, but at high speed and with a external load? like I said, it must 'load' the airframe and does that give that much of a edge over conventional jets?

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
    Cheers for that Eddie, so it's not just a 'air show' tool after all. I surpose the the limiting factor is the the airframe 'G load' and the stick/seat interface?? I can see the manoverability at slow speed, but at high speed and with a external load? like I said, it must 'load' the airframe and does that give that much of a edge over conventional jets?
    At higher speeds it doesn't really have any impact, at most all it does it reduce the control surface deflection required to produce a certain pitch/roll/yaw rate. With or without TVC an airframe is still subject to the same laws of physics. Yes TVC could allows some sort of crazy "top gun" manoeuvre to decelerate from high speed to low speed or pull a turn with an insane AoA but any such move would be a one shot deal, in that once done the aircraft would be all out of energy and therefore a sitting duck against an opponent who maintained energy. In a 1v1 fight such a move might allow you to win the day, especially combined with high angle off bore sight missiles, but since when do 1v1 fights happen in the real world.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Just another thought, how the hell is it controlled? Is it automatic through the flight control system or is there a manual input from the 'Jockey' ? I'd like to think it was automatic (stops the jet from going banana shaped!!!) any ideas??

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    In every airframe I've read about its integrated into the flight controls and fully automatic.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Just seen this article and it may have its benefits after all!!

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...yphoon-333501/
    Last edited by Gunfighter; 05Aug12 at 22:21.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    I've had a privilege to talk with Anatoly Kvochur, HRF, where he explained me the use of cobra and TVC in combat use - those were the times when Raptor was still in development phase and the whole Western world was describing Cobra as just an airshow stunt. What Eddie said is true - it's not as innocent as some may want you to believe. Many would argue that you'd be a sitting duck after performing such manouevers due to loss of energy. Seeing most of the TVC equipped A/C flying, I can only say I was totally surprised at the amount of power these aircraft have - even the basic Su-27 could accelerate remarkably out of Cobra in climb, but Raptor, MiG-29OVT, SU-30MK series and especially the new Su-35S with S117 engines seem to replenish the lost E in virtually seconds. Of course it is only useful in WVR combat. Some might say 1v1 doesn't happen today. Of course chances are slim for that. BVR is the name of the game now. But as we all know ROE often prevent that, which usually brings fighters into WVR arena where many vs many combat might occure and that is where the combination of tactics, weapons and experience will show its strengths.

My 2 cents
    Last edited by InFlames; 06Aug12 at 09:18.