Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Brake problems returned

I had my toe brakes working fine, if a bit touchy using the trick I posted a while back. I went to do some flying last night, and the problem has returned, and seems worse than before. I re-did that old trick with no effect this time around. As usual they test just fine in windows, and work perfectly in other sims.
    I haven't been able to find any new info on the problem, and am hoping that it has been fixed in World.
    If not, or in the meantime, has anyone gotten any new info on fixing this problem? I did hear that a full reinstall fixed it for one guy, but I really don't want to go that route unless I absolutely had to. To get by, I just mapped the brakes to one pedal, but it is sticking so badly now that I may have to move it to a HOTAS switch.
    The rumors of my demise are premature. Ok, I've died twice but I keep coming back, I'm worse than a stray cat!

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Dont know what pedals you're using but the saitek ones need to be inverted.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Aye, they are inverted, but the problem is not that they are always on, but that they will not return completely after being used, usually only returning to about half on. The pedals and their install are both good, and this problem only occurs in DCS.
    I have gotten them working again, though they are erratic now in that they return most of the time, but only register to 2/3 or 3/4 full half the time when fully depressed. I will take that over not returning to zero. I am still having to map one pedal for both brakes, as I have the problem now that one will go full while the other only goes partial which has a bad effect on stopping in a straight line. Lord knows I have enough trouble with that right now as it is!
    I noticed that the problem seems to occur after any changes have been made to the settings for the pedals in options, especially any changes to the curve. So I set the pedals to what I wanted and closed DCS completely out. Then I unplugged the Saitek pedals, and plugged in my old CH pedals, forcing Windows to do a driver swap. I then swapped the pedals back out, and after Windows reinstalled the Saitek driver, held both brake pedals down to full for a few seconds and worked the central axis back and forth. Basically the same as doing the regedit trick, but this time getting Windows to drop the driver and pick it back up again.
    The symptoms of this problem strike me as being a conflict in the software somewhere. It is acting pretty similar to what my joystick did when I first installed the game, and it was assigning the pitch and roll to several items and not just the joystick. I will do some experimenting with it when I can, maybe something didn't actually clear when I cleared the other controllers out, or something. If I find anything else that helps, I will of course be sure to pass it along.
    The rumors of my demise are premature. Ok, I've died twice but I keep coming back, I'm worse than a stray cat!

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Are you releasing them slowly? If you "spring" release them they will not come to complete 0.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    They were sticking regardless of the release rate. Rate also seems to have no effect on them stopping early either. This has been a pretty common problem with the Saitek pro pedals. I also tested in Word 1.2, and the problem persists, so apparently ED hasn't done anything about it yet.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    This is interesting, I use the Saitek Pro Flight pedals and have never seen or heard of this problem until now.

I'll be honest, I don't see how it can be an issue with DCS (at least DCS alone), if it was everyone would be experiencing the issue.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    This is interesting, I use the Saitek Pro Flight pedals and have never seen or heard of this problem until now.

I'll be honest, I don't see how it can be an issue with DCS (at least DCS alone), if it was everyone would be experiencing the issue.
    Yeah, In the control panel it's OK, but when you are checking brake axis in the DCS and spring release them, you will see that they do not come full down

At least mine.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu-NRG View Post
    Yeah, In the control panel it's OK, but when you are checking brake axis in the DCS and spring release them, you will see that they do not come full down

At least mine.
    Same here, just checked mine in axis tuning.
    Spring release: most of the times brakes wont release completely
    I can get them to stick slowly releasing them as well, though so far this has not been a huge problem for me.

My right pedal sticks more then the left but that might be a coincidence, in windows both are releasing 100%.
    Last edited by Stinky; 06Aug12 at 16:19.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Works fine here.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    To be honest , this is a DCS issue (some pheripherals have it more worse then others), it can be overcome but not totally eradicated with use of good custom curves, i have simped f16 pedals with toe brakes , as has El-Roto and have experienced same problems in all DCS versions (not tested world yet) .

Problem is not completely gone on my end , but comes back about 1 on 50 flights , which doesnt bother me much anymore .
    As Nu- NRG also stated , releasing the brakes in a quick fashion is gonna have them stick more then when you use a "smooth release"

If you need help on the issue , send me a PM.