Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSMS Profile Naming Methodology Help

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    And for all specific release settings they'd simply alter the profiles manually ahead of the run just like on an old A-10A armament panel?

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    I don't see that you'd need to. In combat min alt isn't used anyway, and for LR just switch to CCRP using the HOTAS.

For training, assuming you actually were going to perform multiple deliveries which I don't see as all that likely, you could just amend min alt as you suggest if desired. But remember with FFO you don't need abort cues as the ordnance is flying ahead of the aircraft, you don't have frag issues to worry about.

The main point is, that for rockets and other forward firing ordnance, there are no delivery specific settings (beyond min alt for training, but that's not really needed anyway).
    Last edited by Eddie; 10Oct15 at 11:45.

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I'm was referring to things like ripple quantity. I know that the inherent nature of rockets implies much less flexibility though than with bombs so you usually just fire everything at once, but it was a thought.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PFunk View Post
    I'm was referring to things like ripple quantity.
    IRL you can't set a ripple qty for rockets, it's either one rocket per release button press, or the whole pod (its a setting on the pod itself). There is nothing in-between.

The fact that we can in DCS was a game play decision by ED.
    Last edited by Eddie; 10Oct15 at 12:58.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Gunny (10Oct15)

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Well then you learn something new every day. DCS' peculiarities make you look at problems that don't exist.

Denmark
       Denmark
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Talking about peculiarities, it's there also an old bug with the ripple quantity weapons release? I seem to recall reading that in RL you would just pickle once and then the whole pod (DCS ripple 7) would leave the aircraft as opposed to DCS where you have to press and hold until all ordnance have left the aircraft. Same goes with bombs.

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    IRL you can't set a ripple qty for rockets, it's either one rocket per release button press, or the whole pod (its a setting on the pod itself). There is nothing in-between.

The fact that we can in DCS was a game play decision by ED.
    I know what you mean, I've seen images of the pod's back where it shows the switch. Shouldn't the DSMS profile at least contain either a 1 or 7 (as per the MQT doc/TTP) as last character? What I understand from Noodle is that you only type in HE, WP, 274, etc.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansolo View Post
    Talking about peculiarities, it's there also an old bug with the ripple quantity weapons release? I seem to recall reading that in RL you would just pickle once and then the whole pod (DCS ripple 7) would leave the aircraft as opposed to DCS where you have to press and hold until all ordnance have left the aircraft. Same goes with bombs.
    For rocket yes, all 7 should leave with just one press of the weapon release as only a single launch/release command is set to the pylon by the IFFCC anyway. For bombs etc. it is correct, I guess as ED decided to allow setting any ripple qty, it does make sense from a game point of view, even if it isn't realistic.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Shouldn't the DSMS profile at least contain either a 1 or 7 (as per the MQT doc/TTP) as last character?
    No, after all why would it need to? You're not going to need to differentiate between several profiles as you'll only have one anyway.

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    955 Posts
    Alright I'm with you that HE you're likely to only ripple 7, and smoke you're likely to fire a single one. So that would answer the 1/7 discussion indeed. But I could see that you will fire either a singe loft smoke, or a direct smoke during the same sortie. Since you will set CCRP and CCIP in the profile, wouldn't you need to somehow differentiate?

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave