Thread: Maverick Employment

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Maverick Employment

By now we've all seen quite some posts on proper employment of dumb bombs and some hints towards deployment of the LGB. What about the Mavericks though? In DCS you can simply launch the missile and you can be pretty sure it will be a hit, regardless of when and how you launched it. Could somebody share a few basics on how to properly launch a 65 and why it will go wrong if you deviate from that procedure? I've stumbled upon an older document written by Snoopy which mentions some considerations but for me at least it doesn't give an overall picture of the deployment procedure. Also, I wonder if the 65 is modeled to a high enough level of detail for these considerations to be important. Regardless of modeling, I still would like to do it the way I should be.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    I think Eddie was once (upon a time) explaining that nose up while launching is a no no.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    That's one of the things I was hoping to get an answer on in this topic; do you generally 'help' the MAV by aiming the nose in the general direction of the target, which will likely result in a shallow dive flight most of the time, or can you simply fly straight and level regardless of altitude as long as the missile's seeker gets a lock? And again, where do real life practices differ from what is possible in DCS...
    Last edited by JayPee; 05Nov14 at 19:16.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    To have a good lock, the missile seeker should be within a certain launch window, known as the keyhole.

Should be clear that a wings level, straight flight at 20.000ft and firing at a target 5nm away, should be impossible.
    You would maneuver the plane to get the seeker in the keyhole.

Further, you have the 30/30/30 rule
    Max 30 degrees of aircraft bank at lock-on, max 30 degrees per second roll rate at the moment of launch and max 30 degrees of bank angle from lock-on to launch.

Nothing of this is modelled in DCS.

Also, in DCS, the Macverick locks on to objects, instead of contrast. (note you can not lock on to an object that already is destroyed).

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stuka For This Useful Post:

Griffin (05Nov14), JayPee (05Nov14), Ski (20Nov14)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I knew about the key hole for locking on, as that image is in the 25th vFS document I mentioned. So if the Poiting Cross is the seeker's centre point, what does the Crosshairs represent? Because now I am confused a bit after taking a closer look at the picture. I was always under the impression that the Crosshairs (the large cross filling the screen with a small opening at its heart) is the visualisation of the seeker head's centre so when I move the Crosshairs towards the target, the seeker turns to where I pointed the large cross.

EDIT1: Ah.. wait, is the Pointing Cross merely an indication of where the seeker is pointing relatively to its boresight position?

And about the contrast, that would theoretically mean I can lock the Maverick to a small camp fire on an open plain?
    Last edited by JayPee; 05Nov14 at 21:48.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Campfires? Yes.

Empty revetments? Yes.

Inflatable decoys? Yes.

Shadows cast by vertical objects? Yes.

Tactical bushes? Yes

Anything that provides high enough visual (B/H/K) or thermal (D/G/G2) contrast is a valid target.

Also, in addition to the 30/30/30 rule and the keyhole, the pointing cross must be steady before pickling the missile. A flashing pointing cross indicates a low quality track that will not survive launch transients. This has been backwards in various DCS builds several times...I don't k ow if it's corrected in the current version or not. In any event, as Stuka said: DCS does not model any of the restrictions associated with Maverick employment.

Oh, that reminds me...it's "employment", not "deployment". Sorry to be nitpicky, but its the correct terminology.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

doctapp (29Aug15)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Understood. Still, if the large Crosshairs represent the seeker's centre view point, what does the Pointing Cross indicate?

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Seeker's centre view point in relation to physical centreline of the missile.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trigger For This Useful Post:

JayPee (06Nov14)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Maverick deployment

Great, thanks. But why are the limits shaped like a keyhole instead of a circle?

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Noodle is like an interactive encyclopedia. I feel confident therefore in throwing keywords at him like a search engine and getting lots of great information in return. I'm not even going to write a sentence because I feel it might inhibit some information from spilling out.

Query: Request all: Maverick - Adjust Boresight