United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts

Mud vs Dirt

Can someone please clarify the difference between DIRT vs MUD? Specifically, how do I know a missile is tracking me? I have so many documents around I can't find it right away. Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ski For This Useful Post:

Tex (20Jan16)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Good question; this was a point of confusion for me as well, and I think if you focus on how the RWR works in the A-10C in DCS, it'll make it a bit simple to follow.

In DCS, you'll get an RWR pop up when a ground unit is searching for you. When it first appears, you get what's called the "New Guy" tone. This is the same sound for all units. After this, if it continues to search for you, or as you may be out of its launch range, you will hear a broken "beep" that, with the RWR mod, is specific to that unit. i.e. the beep will be different for an SA-6 vs. an SA-8, but the initial "New Guy" sound is the same for everything.

At this point, right after the new guy tone, assuming it was an SA-8, you'd call "Dirt, 8, clock position". e.g. "Dirt, 8, 3 0'clock". Dirt as it's searching, but not tracking.

*Normally* in DCS, when you're being tracked, the sound goes solid, i.e. the beep isn't broken. At this point, you'd call "Mud, 8, clock position". e.g. "Mud, 8, 3 o'clock". This solid track tone is currently broken in DCS, so unfortunately when you're being tracked, the sound goes silent. This is a known bug since 1.5.

So in a nut shell, you get a new guy tone, and then a broken beep, you call Dirt. You get a solid tone, meaning you're being tracked, you call Mud.

There is another related term, "Singer". I use to screw this one up all the time. You use singer when you have an RWR indication of missile launch. I use to call it when I would see a SAM launch out of my canopy, where it's just correct to call the SAM launch. Singer is specific to an RWR indication.

Summarizing: Dirt - RWR indication in search mode (beeping, unique per unit with the mod), Mud - RWR indication of track mode (solid tone), Singer - RWR indication of SAM launch.

I don't know how things work in the real world, but this is how it is in DCS.
    Last edited by Dojo; 19Jan16 at 23:20.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dojo For This Useful Post:

Hansolo (20Jan16), Kimi (19Jan16), Noodle (19Jan16), Ski (20Jan16), Tex (20Jan16)

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    In addition to Dojo's post, when I want to remember which one is which i think of the following:

Which one is more messy, Being dirty or being muddy?
    Of course being muddy is more messy, hence, being tracked is worse than just having a radar painting you in search mode.
    Hope this helps

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimi For This Useful Post:

Ski (20Jan16)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Perfect explanation, Dojo.

For additional context consider the following:

The real RWR only plays audio for the threat under the diamond. The audio heard is a function of the threat emitter's characteristics, such as operating frequency, pulse repetition frequency, scan rate, scan mode, signal strength, et cetera. For a demonstration of how threat audio is generated, check out this video:

RWR Diamond Audio.

The fact that we have "chopped" or intermittent tones for radars in search mode is indicative of a mechanically scanned array. As the search or acquisition radar's antenna sweeps past the aircraft, a momentary tone is heard. A target engagement radar (TER) either points directly at the target - or nutates around it in a pattern called a conical scan - creating a continuous tone. Both of these conditions are identifiable by the unique aural signatures they create. It is also very easy to tell when a radar lock has been broken because when the antenna stops pointing at the target, the continuous audio stops (or changes significantly).

I'll leave it for you to contemplate how things might work with an AESA...

Edit to add: The New Guy audio is a pet peeve of mine. It should be three tones at the threat emitter's PRF in 1.5 seconds. In other words, it's unique to each threat type. The stock sound is 7 tones at 1kHz in 1.5 seconds which is the RWR missile launch tone. Talk about unintended consequences!
    Last edited by Noodle; 20Jan16 at 00:25.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Dojo (20Jan16), IronHog (20Jan16), Ski (20Jan16), Tex (20Jan16), Trigger (20Jan16)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
    Good question...<snip>... I don't know how things work in the real world, but this is how it is in DCS.
    Great question and a great explanation. Comms in the real world are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
    Which one is more messy, Being dirty or being muddy?
    They are both messy, don't they have showers where you are from?

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    ... at the target - or nutates around it ...

...The New Guy audio ... is 7 tones at 1kHz in 1.5 seconds which is the RWR missile launch tone. Talk about unintended consequences!
    Nutates is a great word. As is mipple...which is also related to the RWR. Besides Noodle, anyone know, as it relates to the RWR, what mipple means?
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tex For This Useful Post:

Kimi (20Jan16)

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    ... anyone know, what mipple means? They are awesome!
    LOL.
    I'm sorry, you asked for it.
    Last edited by Kimi; 20Jan16 at 13:35.

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40